Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An unusual watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
What better time than now, Halloween time, to show and talk about my skull watch in my collection!

I just LOVE the unusual and when I saw this one you know I had to have it! Roll Eyes

Skull watches have been around since the 1500 & 1600's. In the 1800's, skull watches were housed with verge fusee keywind movements.

My sterling silver, hinged skull watch and skull and bones chain with key is from the 1990's with modern battery operated watch works. Features the hour hand only as was common to 1500 & 1600's.

Take a look!

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
An inside view of the skull.
Eek

Engraved silver dial with Roman numerals.

posted
A representation of a serpent in the inside jaw!
OoooooH Eek

posted
A full view inside skull==eeeeeeeeRY! Eek

posted
I hope everyone has a safe and fun HALLOWEEN]

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Thanks for sharing that one, Stephanie. I have always liked the old skull watches, but never had a prayer of owning a genuine one. I especially like the matching chain. Where did you find this one?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Hi Jerry,
Thanks! I found this piece at the Lakewood Antique Show in Atlanta years ago. When I initially saw the skull watch with chain, I was awe struck. Vendor said a personal friend made the piece using .999 fine silver rounds he had. He said the key is sterling silver. I purchased several items from the vendor at the time and passed on the watch and chain. It was rather pricey. A month or two passed and I was haunted by the piece. So, I contacted the vendor, struck a deal, and added skull watch with chain to my collection of watches!

Jerry, you (or others) may be able to help. The gentleman I purchased watch from said when the battery needs to be replaced, make sure I take it to a watchmaker who can replace battery as the movement may be difficult to remove for someone who is unfamiliar. It does need a new battery. I haven't taken it to anyone of yet, but was wondering about it. Suggestions?

Comments are welcomed by all! Spooky enough for Halloween? Big Grin

I read that when wearing piece, the chain loops over belt and HAND clamps on to belt. Kinda cool! Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Check this one out.
http://www.antique-watch.com/stat/w7300.html

Stephanie O'Neil