• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Opinions/Advice about COLUMBUS watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I know I should leave it in its socket, but I can't seem to resist keeping an eye out for one or two high-quality COLUMBUS pockets. I'd sure like to hear members' opinions about desirable models, problem areas to avoid, etc.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

- Damien

Posts: 143 | Location: Puget Sound, Washington in the USA | Registered: January 16, 2010
posted
Some Columbus watches are quite pricey but in the 18 size a 15-17 jewel was a high end watch when the Columbus watch company existed. Look for a patent regulator, either pendent or lever set could have been RR approved and enjoy.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Maybe it was just bad luck, but the last 3 Columbus 18S watches I had here for service all had balance and or hairspring problems. The balance cock is thin and the hairspring has to be just about perfect or it touches the balance arm or bottom of the balance cock.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Thanks, Claude and Roger. You've both added very useful tips to my hunt.

- Damien

Posts: 143 | Location: Puget Sound, Washington in the USA | Registered: January 16, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I look for higher grade models, 21-jewels and higher, in the specially reserved block of movement numbers 500000-506000.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thanks, Ed. What's special about those 6,000 units? and are there any other discriminant factors that might help filter down a search (such as model names, Hunter -v- open face, etc.?

- Damien

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A recent near $500.00 eBay sale was preceded by my licting that is my answer to your question;

When Dietrich Gruen Founded the Columbus Watch Co. in 1874, his plan was to import and sell Swiss made movements to the US market. Little did he know that this would be transformed into a small watch manufacturer of some of the finest Railroad grade movements available to the late 19Th century market! . . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This rare 21 Jewel Columbus King signed Dial with a "Railway King" signed movement is one of those that every Railroad Watch collector/fancier knows about but rarely sees.

What makes it so great?

1. RARE!!!

2. RR accurate Railway King Movement

3. 21 Jewel 5 Adjustment RR Grade

4. FLAWLESS Double Sunk Columbus King Dial!

5. 14K Gold Filled B&B Royal Case

6. Fully serviced and still RR spec!

A great watch and one of the fastest growing values in today's economy.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Outstanding example David!

Here's another Columbus from that same select serial number block. It's a 21-jewel New Columbus Time King I just picked up on eBay, movement #500275.

I hope it looks more like David's example after it's restored.

21-jewel & up movements to look for:

Columbus King
Railway King
Time King
Ruby

Auction Image -- 21-J New Columbus Time King -- Movement #500275

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Dave -- once again, I learn by hindsight. I'm sorry I missed that one you were offering.
And Ed, I hope you'll post some pics when you get your Columbus restored.

Thanks, guys.

-Damien

posted
Something like this one Ed?

David, it looks like we both have very near the same beautiful dial too?

quote:
I look for higher grade models, 21-jewels and higher, in the specially reserved block of movement numbers 500000-506000.

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes Bud, very similar to yours except for the Roman dial, after I've had it restored of course. Outstanding example BTW!!

Here is a movement picture of the extremely dirty example I just picked up on eBay.

Auction Image -- 21-J Columbus Time King, Movement #500275

posted
Hi Ed;

I actually saw that on eBay the other day. I too look for Columbus watches but I simply passed this one up because I can't take them apart to clean and fix them.

Actually I can take them apart and clean them. I just can't fix them and put them back together in a way that they would work afterwards. A minoir detail I know, but very inportant.

Good luck with the restoration Ed, I would appreciate seeing it when you're finished with it.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010