Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois "Abbotts Conversion" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of John "JP" Perez
posted
I read about an "Abbotts Conversion", but only Howard and Rockford watches were mentioned. Was the Illinois conversion done strictly ouside the factory?
John.

Posts: 61 | Location: Cheshire, Connecticut USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
You could write most of what I know about the Abbott's Conversion on your thumbnail John. For those who know even less than I, perhaps we should explain that in the late 1800s Mr Henry Abbott came up with an aftermarket add-on device designed to convert key-wind watches to winding with a crown rather than a key.

Although some collectors find them interesting, still others consider the alteration to be ruination. If I understand correctly they were after-market devices. I would strongly question whether any manufacturer would be involved with such an adaptor. That would after all only undermine sales of new watches!

However as frequent readers know we often say "never say never" so when I checked my Bulletin Master Index I found reference to Henry Abbott in an article titled "Recollections of Elapsed Time" excerpts from which were reprinted in the April 1970 Bulletin Whole Number 145.

An interesting portion quoted from Mr. Abbotts work follows herein...

"About the year 1880, the several American watch companies discontinued the manufacture of key-wind watches and importers stopped bringing them in from Europe. There were, however, a number of key-winders still in use. Those of the better grades were likely to remain in use for many years and their owners were easily persuaded to pay the cost of having them converted into stemwinders, since the watches would then be not only more convenient but fashionable. Ours was the only shop in the country which made a specialty of that kind of work. It, however, was still very costly because it was necessary to make and fit each part separately.

In 1880, I out on the market a winding device that was so designed and constructed that it could be attached to a watch while completely assembled. These were manufactured in quantity for all the different models of American watches. Specifications were prepared and printed in such manner that workmen of average skill could, with these devices, convert from a key-winder to a stem-winder any American watch. More than one hundred thousand watches were converted by these devices.

About this time fashions in watches changed and open face cases were in demand. For many years, only closed case or "hunting case" watches were made and sold. The logical place for the stem or pendant of a closed case watch is opposite the figure three of the dial. In an open case watch the proper position for the pendant is at the figure twelve on the dial. Manufacturers and dealers tried to persuade the public to buy open case watches with the winding stem entering the movement under the figure three on the dial, the same as in hunters, but the wearers of watches would not have them that way and very few could be sold.

At this stage in proceedings, at the urgent request of many watch dealers, I designed and made a winding mechanism specifically adapted for open face watches and utilized all of the unsold key-wind watch movement in the stocks of dealers in the larger cities, by making them into fashionable open face watches. The Rockford Watch Company got out their tools and made new made new key-winders which they sent me for conversion. Several thousand of these converted watches were sold while other manufacturers were making tools and getting ready to meet the demands of fickle fashion."

I would question at least one of Mr. Abbott's statements. For example, for what possible reason would Rockford actually take up the manufacture of outmoded watches purely to be fitted with the Abbott device? On the other hand if they had a number of leftovers in their vaults, they would be delighted to send them over to Abbott or anyone else who could assist them in getting rid of their old merchandise!

What actually happened we may never really know. My bet is the Abbott Conversions were all done as you put it..."outside the factory"... as it were.

The Abbott attachment is an interesting curiosity, but as this hobby evolves and concentrates increasingly on authenticity, such devices will probably be frowned upon as a destructive alteration. To many a purist the installation of such a thing would ruin the watch.

We are interested in every point of view and perhaps others will comment or come up with additional information.

Hope this begins to address your question.

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of John "JP" Perez
posted
Thanks Lindell. You answered it very well indeed, confirming what I had heard about the Rockford Watch Company. You also anticipated my next question, which was, if indeed the work was done outside the factory, besides the historical significance of this invention, what would be viewers opinion as to such a radical non factory proceedure on the movement. In the process of installing this device did you now destroy the 'original' value of the watch?
John Perez.

Posts: 61 | Location: Cheshire, Connecticut USA | Registered: November 27, 2002