Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Watch Co. Stamp Holder "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I've had this thing for years. It's advertising material in the form of a stamp separator made for Hamilton by the Meek Co., Coshocton, OH. It's made from celluloid and is finely printed. The size is 1.375 x 2.250 What do you think? Has any one ever seen one of these before? Any value? It's like new.

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Back

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Inside with separators.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello William:

From my understanding these were actually sewing repair kit's, and the stamp separators are pieces of fabric that came along with sewing needles, and threads. They were handed out by watch inspectors to Trainmen for emergency repairs for their uniforms etc. I have some in my collection marked with the watch inspectors name and location.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Larry,

At .001", these sheets of "fabric" are very thin and I can't imagine trying to make even a temporary repair to a fireman's overalls with them. But hey, if they're free, how can anyone complain? Interesting. Roll Eyes

William

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello William:

I was referring more to passenger trainmen who were more in the public eye and wore suits with white shirts. Here is an example from my collection with the watch inspectors name from Lacombe, Alberta

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Larry,

Well, that would explain the assorted colors of the little sheets. Thanks for telling me this...I never would have guessed it!

William

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
From page 38 The Time Museum Historical Catalogue of AMERICAN POCKET WATCHES

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is another example of one of the celluloid cases showing veiw of a steam locomotive with the number 992 on the cab, and an advertisement on the back by Hamilton appealing to both men and women from the jeweler in Lexington Kentucky. Made by the Bastian Bros. Co. of Rochester, New York

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Advertisement.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
From contents some kind of chart that probably has something to do with sewing?