• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden New Railway 18 size 23 jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A while back I picked this watch up off ebay for about $60 total (bid/ship) because the seller could not get the bezel off the swing out case he could not describe how many jewels it had which help the low price along with the fact that many people turn the evil eye towards Hampdens. I sent it away for a COA and a mainspring and probably have $200 total into it now. It isn't in fine or extra fine but a good watch. The silveroid case is in good condition not dinged up some wear on the gold dressing on the pendant, replacement crown and a dial that has a few hairlines. The movement has had the balance cock screw replaced and suffers from a few screw drivers slips on the left side but for the most part the movement presents well.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted

posted

posted

posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Another "save" of a Hampden in excellent overall condition. Thanks for showing it. You have more than one of us "eatin our hearts out".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good going Claude! Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
The case did not look like it does now, it was all gummed up so that probably scared more than a few buyers off but I looked at the double sunk dial and figured at least it is a 17 jewel movement unless someone swapped a DS to a lower jewel watch and if needed could have parted it out to get my $60 back. After the mainspring and cleaning it runs like a RR approved watch should.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice Claude, if I remember right you also have a 23J Sp'l Railway 18s, makes a nice pair!I espacially like those fully marked ones like that.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
You're right Ted I do have a 23j Special Railway and I also have a fancier dressed brother to this one, it has a gold filled case with a bit unusual designs on it. Normally I try not to "bottom feed" to the nth degree but I thought it might be a diamond in the rough, not quite a diamond but probably a ruby or emerald.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Claude, I have to be a bottom feeder, have no choice really, sometimes it pays off, like in your case with this Hampden.You did good.I've always wondered why the New Railway 18sizes were a little cheaper when new than the Special Railways, the finish work on them looks about the same.I have a 17J New Railway, has all gold screws and an unbelievable damaskeening pattern.Just as nice as its"Big Brothers".

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted you have posted some nice watches and I tend to think your collecting habits are a lot like mine, get the best you can with your watch budget. The majority of my collection is in the 17-19 jewel range but there are some 21 jewel watches like the Elgin grade 150 that you can pick up at a good price.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Very nice Claude!

Rarely do we see such brilliant two toning, most two tones are dull, this one is not. Cool Hampdens are all too often underappreciated but at IHC185 we are changing that with topics like this one.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful watch.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
WoW
I have my nose pressed up against the glass of my monitor. That is one fantastic looking movement.

I have really come to appreciate Hampden's and I have bought a few the last 2 months. Some may look down on them, but they are real nice watches that a collector can pick up at a reasonable price.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
This one is the better dressed older brother both are marked "double roller" and "Adjusted to 5 Positons" but this one has the earlier style dial. Also if you look at the bottom of the movement picture you can see where some knuckle-head looks like they took a hack saw and notched the case ring to see if it was 14K pure, other than that the case is brass/dent free but I need to clean the crown since it is a little dirty.

On the topic of under-appreciated these Hampdens are nice lookers and from the ones I have seem to be very good watches in regards to accuracy and workmanship.

posted
That's a very nice looking Hampden Claude. I have only one, and it says Dueber Hampden on mine, but yours if far more decorative than mine is. However, I just like them all, and the prettier the better.

Since we're on the subject of Hampden's Claude, would you or any other member know where I could find a database of Hampden Serial numbers that would also give more information such as Serial #/Movement Size. I'm actually looking for other databases of all American made movements. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
Bud if you send me an email I will point you in that direction, if you get a chance the Hampden serial number book is well worth the price. I also have at least one Deuber Hampden 18s the early ones are 17j and the later ones 21j, still nice watches well worth the effort to collect. The Special Railways tend to be the apex of eye candy and most are two-tone versions.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Bud,

The HAMPDEN BOOK is here from IHC Member Bill Selover:

Hernick-Arnold 1998 Hampden Watch Co.LimitedEdition

Other specific reliable information is here:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/cfrm/f/172108709

And archived links are here:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/7186009181

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Great Pics Claude, it sure looks purty.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Claude, those are super nice watches and great pictures also....

Thanks for sharing them with us....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks I don't mind posting pictures of my watches since I think it helps people know what is correct or not. I think both are correct, hands, dial etc except for the mentioned balance cock screw on the first one pictured. Both are nice watches, not quite as much eye candy as the Special Railway but still nice 23 jewel watches. The first one was basic highway robbery but the second one was a fair price when I picked it up about 2 years ago. Now one of these days I will have pick up a Waltham Vanguard like Bud posted, it is always nice to see the ones that don't show up often so you know what to look for.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Speaking of Special Railways, did they start out as single roller movements, or did they start out of the gate in 1890 as double roller movements? Just had that question rattle through my head when I read about the markings.

Thanks!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark if my memory serves me I think that ~1902-1904 the New Railway and Special Railway were marked adjusted 5 positions but not marked "Double Roller" so I would say no they started out at "single roller" I also think the NR and the SR were first adjusted to 3 positons ("Adjusted"). I don't have my Hampden book handy to see if that is indeed the case.

posted
Thanks Claude, email sent today

Bud

quote:
Bud if you send me an email I will point you in that direction

posted
Thank you Donald, most appreciated.

Bud

quote:
Bud,

The HAMPDEN BOOK is here from IHC Member Bill Selover:

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, Claude! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002