Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special Case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 750
posted
In general, is a Bunn Special movement more desirable in a Bunn case with 1/16 inch brass ring around back cover, or a non Bunn case with no brass? Thanks Bob

Posts: 60 | Location: Catlin, Illinois USA | Registered: May 28, 2006
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Robert,
I believe this is a great example of the "Personal Preference" decision, but I will give you mine anyway.

If the case is original to the movement, I would keep it, and eventually try to replace it with a newer case that's original. However, I don't place a time period on when I get the new case.

If it's not original to the movement, I would replace it with a case that is known to be used for that particular movement, OR anything else that I LIKED that held the movement correctly.

In the end, it's your decision.

One other thing.
I sometimes buy watches with brass showing, and many of them need new cases. I find out what case should be used, and note it in my database, then when I can, I start a search on that case.

I had to set up a "New Cases Needed" list, so that when my "New Case Date" comes around, I can go to the list.

I only do this once every 3 months, so that I have time to consider what I want to do.

I found that this works really great, and since I don't have to make a decision right away, I find that I actually make better decisions on which watch I buy too.

Now I consider a watch movement first, then let the case issue take care of itself.

It's fun to look around, and run across something that's perfect for a movement, that I remember being in my database.

Just don't rush the decision, that's the best advice. If the money is there, and you know what you really want, go for it, if not, just hold on, it will show up. Honest!

Good Luck!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
If you know the case is original to the watch, I would keep it original.

Tom

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
After Tom's post I thought I would add, that if it is "The Original Case" that came with the watch.
I would keep it in THAT case and NOT change it.
Even if it is really worn.

I should have explained it better.

I would change it eventually if it was NOT an original, but NEVER when it is.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004