Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Association Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 935
posted
In my post below, I mention the idea of collecting presentation watches. To this thought, I add what I term, "Association Watches," watches that are associated with some event or some person or such and may have special or personal meaning to the particular collector but not to others. One thing, for sure, is that association watches do not command the unusual premium prices that sellers demand for presentation watches. What do you think about this aspect of the total idea?

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Morty,

If you mean watches that have personal attachments then let me start this off by showing off the watch that was my grandfathers and handed down to me by my father. It is a 19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR Type I. It runs and looks great and I will pass this down to my nephew some day.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 935
posted
Yes, Steve, that is precisely what I mean. A beautiful watch with much meaning! Thanks.

Mort

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Steve,

What does the rest of the watch look like? This picture is awesome and Thanks,

Pete

Posts: 20 | Location: Dillsburg, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: August 20, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Mort,
I thought that's what we were talking about a few days ago when you started this string:

"Collectibility of Presentation Watches"

When you say "Association" or "Presentation", to what are you referring? I guess I'm somewhat confused by your meaning.

"Association", to me means exactly what Steve indicated in his post as I did in my post to your original string.

"Presentation" would mean a watch that was presented to someone as a 'retirement' gift, 'christmas/birthday' gift, 'appreciation for services' gift or for any other reason that was memorialized with a monogram or a date.

I do think you're on to something here and find the subject very interesting. Dave had a some good input to the subject as well and I think it may be appropriate to start two different strings, one for each school of thought; "Presentation" & "Association"

Just my thoughts....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Peter,

Here is a photo of the movement. It is a Type I as it has a single marking of Motor Barrel "60" on it.

Steve

Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Steve,

What a Gorgeous movement and just a beautiful watch and thanks for the looks!!

I'm, in part, into 16S Hamiltons and a 978 came in a Santa Fe/Illinois case.

Well, now I'm interested in recasing it back to it's (more) original movement/dial/hands.

Do you have any suggestions as to what approximate serial number/style hands/dial I should be looking for?

# 5997762

Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Steve,

The outside rear lid has been personalized with, I believe,WOW. Maybe this is an acronym for Woodworkers of the World.

Santa Fe  rear lid # 5997762

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Pete,

Do you have a picture of the front of the case you could post? Outside of looking at ads I'm not sure of the time frame of your case which is very desireable by the way. Many more movements without correct cases than just cases out there. I believe all the 16 size Santa Fe's were factory cased like the Burlingtons. Actually, maybe a separate topic should be started as we are getting away from the original subject matter.

Steve

Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Steve,

Thanks & I will start a new topic.

Jerry, your comment, I do think you're on to something here and find the subject very interesting. Dave had a some good input to the subject as well and I think it may be appropriate to start two different strings, one for each school of thought; "Presentation" & "Association" is a super idea.

Pete

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the Elgin grade 218 I inherited from my Dad who inherited it from his Dad. cornil Loga was 8 years old when this watch was made in 1899.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the case back:

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the movement:

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Ernie,
Our two watches are pretty close to each other except your has twice the # of jewels....

I inherited this watch from my maternal grandfather in 1959.
It was actually the first pocketwatch that I ever owned and started me on my journey.

It is a 7j, size 18, grade 73 made in 1889. The case is "silveroid".
I intend to send it to Cris so that he can go through it. It runs okay, but really needs a COA

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
The movement....

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
The rear of the case....Mr. Elk....

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I just dug this watch out of storage. It is an Elgin BW Raymond that was my wife's Great Grandfathers. His name was Alonzo Foss.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the dial

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Inscription on inside cover. It reads: From Selah Strickland to A. G. Foss XMAS 1887. Selah was a step Father-in-Law to Alonzo. Alonzo was 22 years old when he received the watch.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the case back.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The back case cover still has the original paper in it that certifies the case as was made under James Boss patent.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The watch has a watch chain and fob inscribed with initials, A J P. I have no idea who they belonged to. It was on the watch when we received it.