Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 92 track dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Does this dial have a specific name. Also are these considered rare I have only handled a couple in all the watches I dealt with. Thinking about listing it.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Its a Radial dial Rob. They are desired.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Rob,

my old ratty Waltham parts catalogue calls the dial the "Rail Road" The single sunk version is no. 2524. Available in 16 and 18 sizes.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
OK thanks!! watch is pristine, hate to part with it but cant keep them all forever.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
see how nice the case is

IHC Life Member
posted
and the movement

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Very nice case Rob, but the ratchet wheel is missing it's hub. You should get that fixed before you try to sell it.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes I noticed that and was going to ask about it also. It seems several of my 92 models were the same way I wonder why they did that. Does the gear look original or should it have design to it.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
The M92 vanguards all have plain winding wheels and hubs. Paradoxically, it's the lesser grades of M92 like P.S. Bartlett and Appleton & Tracy that have the fancy wheel/hub decoration. Here's a correct M92 Vanguard example that recently sold in the IHC mart.

How did it get like that? Most likely someone who I wouldn't want working on my watches lost the correct parts and just cobbled it back together.

Correct M92 Vanguard Movement

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
I originally thought it was laziness on the repair person but it seem like a lot more work to find a different screw than put a simple washer hub back on.

IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Rob

Did you sell this one yet?

Thanks
Keith

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
No not yet.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
If the hands were any larger you would hardly see the dial.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Are you going to put it up here or the bay?

I will open the bidding ($225.00) if you post it here!

I also can just give you my address and have you send it to me. LOL

COOL Dial, would look great in my collection...

Either way I will be bidding

Keith

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a magnificent piece in which I think the Bold RR Hands are appropriate for that period.

I have a parts movement with that hub that the winner of the sale can have for a small donation to IHC185.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I have the 24hr version of this dial on an 1883 Crescent Street, all I need is one of those Waltham second hands.....anyone?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011

posted
Lorne,

Should have a couple of those second hands, drop me an email, and I will send you a picture, to ensure they are what you need.

Smile

Thanks,

Jon

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
I love the radial track dial too. The availability of needed parts through the generosity of Jon Hart, Dave Abbe and other members has done a lot to spark my interest. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Rob,

Marked as "Santa-Fe Route" Model 1892 Waltham watches listed shown in Jim Hernick's "Railroad Timekeeping" have marked dials and Number 30 in that book is a very interesting Model 1892 Waltham with a dial of the same basic design as yours. I have an 1892 Waltham identical to yours in my collection and the dial is just like yours as well. This dial appears to be another of Henry S. Montgomery's designs, see details with the image below. I have also seen this style dial on marked as "Waltham Railroader" watches. Personally I think what you have is one of the better looking of Railroad Watch combinations.

The seconds hand Lorne needs fits both 16 and 18-size movements, thanks to Dave and Jon for helping.

Lindell

Wink

Another style of this dial with "Santa-Fe Route" markings...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the info everyone and the offer Dave for the missing part. I haven't made up my mind where I am going to list it yet.
Dave is the screw the same? I was thinking the screw would have to be longer to accommodate the thickness of the hub.

posted
I have a Canadian version (13-24 hour) version of this dial on an Appleton Tracy model 92 in a heavy Canadian made silver case. One of my favorites.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1541
posted
quote:
Lorne,

Should have a couple of those second hands, drop me an email, and I will send you a picture, to ensure they are what you need.

Thanks,

Jon

Email sent, thanks Jon.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Rob that is my favorite dial in single or double. It is simple and most attractive. I have the same dial but need an 83 movement to put it on.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1541
posted
Jon Hart just put my Waltham second hand in the mail today. Thanks Jon!

I am looking forward to posting a pic of my Waltham 24hr Dial complete with proper second hand.

Here is a link to a couple of Hampden dials of the same ilk.

Hampden Dials

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I will send the screw with the Hubcap providing there is one on that movement. Have to check . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007