Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Railway Special Value Question... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi all I need some help .
Sorry for the bad picture but this one is sitting
in local pawn shop and my cell phone camera is not the best to take close ups any way.
My question is is the case correct to this watch?
I try to unscrew the back but was no go.
crystal is broken (cracked)as you can see.
Is this good buy for $400.00 with out knowing the
movement caliber?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
peter-

in my opinion, no. If you're going to make a bet on something make it to where you should at elast break even on it. That being said, the dial and case look to be of a 992B. since the overall shape does not look good, I would say $200 would be my max bet, and thars if the case was really nice, otherwise $125... I will put it plain and simple, the pawn shop didn't make a bet on it when they bought it, so they probably dont have over $50 in it anyways. If they do, then they won't be in business long buying the unknown for high prices. put it this way, even if it was a 950b under the dial, int he condition it is in, the $400 is all it would be worth and no profit to be able to be made.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Thanks Jared.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Peter, I concur with Jared's advice with one more detail . . . It better be in RUNNING CONDITION or it is not worth anything until you can look at the movement.`

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
More than likely it is a 992B as the 950b is marked different. THe dual time zone hands do add to the value but not much over what Jared says. A lot depends on the condition overall. Remember pawn shops buy cheap no matter what they tell you. You need to tell them they can make a quick buck or take a chance on holding for more money. More than likely they will take the quick profit even if it isnt as much as they are dreaming about. DOnt let them fool you I dealt with to many to know any different. Act like you will take it or leave it and they will sell it to you.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Peter,

In order to determine if the case is correct you would have to get the serial number of the movement. That case is similar to the model 12 case and it was never advertised however we know Hamilton used it for the 992B. These cases are marked Hamilton on the inside of the case back. The hands are also a variant used when there were parts shortages and the extra hour hand doesn’t match the others.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
At $400 you are above retail.

You can find 3 to 5 every day of the week. I'm a buyer between $200 to $250. on these ALL THE TIME.

I have bought some for $300. but it better be near mint. But does not have to be running.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Thank you all.
I have the watch after few hours of negosiations
over the phone.