Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford question? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi I just picked up a very nice Rockford, I have never paid attention to these before and WOW what a nice watch, as you can see below.
My question this Rockford 21J S16, DR 5 Adj model 545, has a stamp "RG", I see this mentioned for some Rockford's but not this, is this a Shugart error and standard on this model?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Man, that thing's pretty, Chris!!!! Eek
I like that photo so much, I just pulled my old Rockford 930 out of my watchbox to carry tomorrow. Smile

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mark,
Yes real nice, I have been looking online and of the few I found dont have the RG stamp.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hmmmm...

I'm not entirely certain why some Rockfords will have the "RG" for Railroad Grade marking when others do not. Whether it came in at a certain point in time, if there were non-RG versions of a given grade or if there might be another explanation would be worth knowing.

Here is a great topic about Rockfords Tony Dukes started a few months ago...

TOPIC: "Show us your Rockfords!"

Anyhow thanks for sharing your beautiful Rockford with all of us.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Lindell,

So far I have found other 545's close in serial numbers higher and lower not bearing the RG, I see in shugart that the HC version grade 530 has mention of RG.

posted
I just pulled out my 545. It is #625547. No RG marking. Your movement and mine are identical, and the dials are the same.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thansk Jerry,
My serial number is 620,259 Shugart P363 shows mine as a run of 1000 620,001-621,000, would be interesting to find out if this run of 545's was the only one stamped RG, hopefully other members wil dig in there boxes and have a look.

Thanks again.

posted
hi chris, there is a 530 RG hunter in the link lindell posted

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Don,
Just had another look through the Rockford link, I see your beautiful 515 is also stamped RG again not noted in Shugart, interesting, no doubt I will be seeing this appear on many now I started to look for it. One thing I have learnt is not to dismiss Rockfords when I see them in the future. Smile

posted
there were many interesting low production rockford grades.... to me this is the place to start getting serious. because someday.....?

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
Hi Chris,

Indeed a beautiful movement and watch. As a collector I'm sorry to say I do not yet have either a fine Rockford piece or one from Southbend. Both companies produced very nice watches with outstanding damaskeened top plates and bridges.

I think the "RG" for Railroad Grade was made and marketed to and for railroad men. My opinion. A unique twist to imply the RG as superior to the unmarked 530.

Hmmmm... Lets think about damaskeening and other engravings on the top plates of fine watches. The United States Watch Co of Marion introduced demaskeening to the American market. Why? it doesn't make the watch a better time piece in durability or timekeeping accuracy. But it does make the watch more appealing to the eye. But whose eye?

Is the engraving and enameling for the company workers assembling the watches... for the watchmakers cleaning or repairing the watches? No. The "artwork" was for the watch owner who could easily open the case back and view the mechanical marvel and boast his ownership of a Railroad Grade timepiece.

Joseph W. Robinson

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I think the "RG" for Railroad Grade was made and marketed to and for railroad men. My opinion. A unique twist to imply the RG as superior to the unmarked 530.
there were many interesting low production rockford grades.... to me this is the place to start getting serious. because someday

Hi Don, Joseph

We have sections for the Hamilton Illinois etc, but nothing for beautiful Rockfords, how about a section for the humble Howards also?
The RG identifier sounds like a marketing tool for the railway workers, and as far as I have seems to make a almost a random appearance.
I think the beautiful damaskeening on the mostly hidden parts of movement was for the benefit of the watchmakers, who no doubt finding such quality workmanship would also tell there customers, what better recommendation and salesman could you hope for other than a enthusiastic watchmakers praise.
Hey I was so impressed ot one I took a photograph to show people!.