Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

UNBELIEVEABLE! Need QUICK answer! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
A neighbor took a Pocket Watch, and put it in a jewelry cleaning machine INTACT!

Did not take it apart, AT ALL! and even left the hands on it.

Do you think it's a total loss?

It's still in the solution, what should she do?
I had no idea what to tell her.

She does have a jeweler. (take entire watch and machine?)

Don't ask me why she did it, she couldn't figure it out either.

Quick answer would be most appreciated.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Tell her to get the watch cleaned by a good watchmaker like yesterday or sooner. Most jewelery cleaner solution is water based and the watch will rust fast

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
She just did it, about 8:00pm, and we need to know if she should take it out of the solution now, or leave it in until tomorrow, when she can get it to her jeweler? Should she try to dry it???
What to do right now?
I had no idea what to tell her.

Sheila

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
just leave it in the solution over night and bring it first thing in the morning they can take it appart and take care of it then.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Rich,
Your an angel! Thank you.

I had her fill it a little higher with the solution and water, to completely cover all the parts, and she is taking it to the jeweler in the morning.

I will let you know how things turn out.
Thank you so very much.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Sheila,
Tell your friend she is not alone.
I had a client several years ago who decided to "brighten up" her grandmother's 14 Kt 8 size hunter by submerging it in jewelry cleaner. She finally figured out that it wasn't such a good idea when the watch wouldn't run the next time she wanted to wear it. I had to replace every single steel part in the entire movement, along with both case springs, the stem and the sleeve.
Lucky for her (and for me) all of the internal parts from a 6 size Elgin would fit, as the 8 size movements are much harder to find.
A good watchmaker can stop the damage and will most likely save all the internal parts, but time is of the essence here.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
I've had many watches brought to me that went thru the washing machine. The only time there was a rust problem is when they waited too long to bring it in. If your friend brings it in right-a-way, she should be alright.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Sheila:
It sounds like you got some good advice. I saw this last night too late to be of any help. Please let us know how it all turns out.
Cheers!
Joel Sarich

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
posted
The watch went to the jewelers this morning, and with all of the advice here, and the jeweler laughing at the situation, she is now a normal human being again. He told her it was fine, and he could take care of it for her.

Your words really helped, she was crazy until I told her what you guys said about the situation, and what to do.

I guess I'm not the only one that freeks out over their watch!!! hehehe

Well, I got one more piece of great information here at IHC 185, to add to my list of things to do in an emergency. You guys are GREAT!

Thank you everyone.

I'll let you know when it's done.

Sheila