• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

roller jewel's gone missing "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Lady Elgin 0s watch that was running great, but stopped the other day. I took a look and discovered the roller jewel seems to have fallen out.

What are the odds the jewel is lodged somewhere still in the watch? I had only taken the balance bridge out when I discovered the problem, so the jewel could have fallen out of the watch, but I don't know.

What would you guys do. Take the watch apart and look for it? It's like looking for a grain of salt...smaller even. But if anyone thinks it could be trapped in there, it's worth taking down I'd guess.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Dale,
I recently got a 992B not running. After shaking it a few times a balance screw fell out of it. I put the screw back in and now it runs. The jewel is probably somewhere in your watch still. I would try shaking upside down first then take it apart if you can't find it.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That Roller Jewel is about 0.4mm, or about 18 thousandths of an inch "big" and about 2 mm (0.080") "long", so it is very likely adhered to some inner watch part or surface.

I have found them by carefully examining the movement bit by piece during an extra careful disassembly. If the roller jewel is not broken (leaving a stump in the roller hole) it is much easier to use than trying to measure and replace with a new one.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007