• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Problems with an acrylic crystal "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an 18s 17j Unadjusted Illinois watch in a Defiance case (the one with the CB&Qs Denver Zephyr on it) which I carry on a nearly daily basis.

The acrylic crystal has popped out of the Bezel and I can't get it to stay in. I have tried to push it in without any luck. I'm worried about breaking the crystal if I try to force it. Does anyone have any recomendations on what the proper technique for getting the crystal to lock in is?

I have another question about this case. The Denver Zephyr engraving clearly dates this watch to after 1935 when the DZ went into service. Was this case marketed only as a replacement case for watches that needed to be recased or where there still 18s movements being built at that late date?

Thanks

Paul Kattner

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paul, The crystal is assembled into these cases with a special compression tool, and when it pops back out, it will not go in very easily. I suggest two options;
1. Replace the crystal
2. Carefully shave the OD of the crystal so that it will pop in, and then secure with crystal cement.

Base metal cases were made all the way back to the early 20th century and a watchmaker could (begrudgingly) use them on an 18 size movement. They became more popular during the depression when many cashed in their Gold cases for grocery money so Base metal Zephyr cases were produced and sold as replacements all the way into the late forties or early 1950's, they give good protection for a carry watch and wear well.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
On the site we have William White who makes perfect crystals if you tell him the dia he will ship one to you at a very reasonble cost indeed.
The plastic ones are OK but cant beat a nice glass one, we have instructions for setting them in place on the site also if you need help.

his Email

info@whitescrystals.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Paul, I have thousands of glass crystals that I will never use in my lifetime. If you would send me your plastic crystal or better yet your bezel I will fit you a new one for free.

C.Keith Johnson, 12915 West Lake rd #4, Vermilion, Ohio, 44089

440-967-9419

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
I greatly appreciate your offer. Could you send me an e-mail? My e-mail address is p#a#u#l#k#a#t#t#n#e#r@hotmail.com (delete the # signs).

Thanks
Paul Kattner

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 01, 2008