Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Hampden Bridge piece "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I "found" this on eBay as a parts watch. After a cleanup and a new main it is in excellent 131 year old condition.

Some special notes about this particular movement.

1. The s/n 57492 pre-dates the earliest (book) recorded Hamden made by my three generations removed James Abbe who together with Mr. Charles D. Rood and others funded Mr. John C. Perry as factory manager to produce a new watch called "Hampden" using the tools and equipment of the twice bankrupted New York watch Co of Springfield Massachusetts.

2. This movement was signed "J.C.Perry", then finished with a "Hampden Watch Co." signed dial. This with the very low serial number suggests it was a "bridge" movement finished by Mr. J.C.Perry to be sold as a Hampden as soon as that was possible with the approval of the newly formed Hampden Watch corporation.

3. The 15 jewel movment is a 16,200 BPH "slow train" movement that runs very smoothly, but is most certainly a highly finished version as the New York W. Co. of Springfield movements, excepting the extra Jeweling.

4. While the Guide lists this as a "$100.00" value watch, it is priceless to me for its provenance and history as a principal stepping stone for a family of watches and watchmakers that culminated with the Hamilton Watch Co., which was the last great American Watchmaker to exist!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Congratulations on your acquisition and thanks for the interesting history behind it.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
Nice old time piece. Great job resurrecting a piece of horological history.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008