Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Big Money Bunn Special--163-Type II "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Big Money Bunn Special--163-Type II was lot 888 in the auction.

This Bunn Special brought $27,000.00 at the J&H auction today. What say you///// Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What do I say?

I say... Twenty-Seven Thousand?

I'm glad I have one already rather than trying to find one!

Now, here is number 5421640 the Type II from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
WOW!!!!!!!!!
Don,t own one but if i did and could get 27,000.00 for it it would for sure be sold.

Sure leaves a poor country boy on the outside looking in. Smile Big Grin

What did the Ball howard bring anyone know.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Ball Howard Brought $21,000 it went a little higher than my bid Frown but I ended up with a good size amount I believe. I was only able to see the price list and did not get to watch it on the video.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The Ball-Howard (Lot number 811) actually went for less than I expected. From early reports I've been hearing there were some bargains to be had, one day that may look like one of them. It will be interesting to see the posted prices!

Back to the 163 Type II ...frankly I'm still adjusting to that $27,000.00 amount! Looking at the big picture, it is real clear that having all seven of the "Seven Stars" that is a full set of all seven 163 Variants is the goal of many collectors. Evidently there were two such collectors involved in the bidding.

I was struck by the fact that $27,000.00 watch was in a less than desirable case and had a cracked dial. That raises the question of what a truly first class example of such a watch might be worth! And then, take a breath and consider just how much a full set of all seven of the "Seven Stars" would go for?

For a comparison of all seven 163 variant movements...

"Bunn Special 163, 163-E, and 163-A Database"

And then here you'll see the variant dials...

"Illinois 161 and 163 Variant Dials"

We're probably reaching the point that this particular phase of our hobby is nearly out of reach for many of us. I bought the ones I have just before prices took off and if I were coming into it today they would be out of reach for me! Chances of putting together such a collection now may be nearly impossible.

What do you think of that up-hill battle?

"And the beat goes on!"

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002