Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 15J Deck Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Can anyone tell me the vintage of this piece? It has a number in the 16 millions which would make it about a 1908. I don't think it is military because there isn't any engraving on it anywhere. Does the wood box look original? It is in excellent condition. The watch runs and keeps excelllent time. An ebay search showed that deck watches go from about $600 to $1500. Does anyone know anymore about the value? I am interested in selling it.

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Another view:

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Works:

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Still another view:

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It took a little while to clean the drool off my keyboard. Why not put it on the eBay auction with a reserve that you need as minimum.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Donald, very nice. I agree with Dave, just put it in our auction with a reserve, the auction process will determine the value.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
I would very much like to see this auctioned here on 185.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
me to I think it would fetch more than you think

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Thanks for the auction suggestions. I would put it on the this site first. However, can anyone tell me if I am right about the vintage? (c.a. 1908) Can one go on the serial number for this kind of watch?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Donald, the only serial number I can discern is 16,6xx,xxx which is 1908 production. If you share the full s/n we can get the actual details pinned down better.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
There was one just like this at the show last Friday in Fountain Hills. It was offered for $800 and I went back later to buy it. It was gone.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Serial no. 16,630,884. I guess that makes it c.a. 1908.

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Mike, thanks for the info. This is the first one I have come across, but then I don't go to shows much. I found it in an antique shop. The shop owner got it from the estate of a jeweler.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Some jewelers had these in their store windows for advertising. I had one once but have since sold it.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That was one of a 3,000 piece run. I am sure that there were few more of these 15J runs at all.

IHC Member 1016
posted
As a point of info. I believe many watchmakers used pieces like this to time the watches they were repairing. The dats before Casio, and Quartz!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Nice watch Donald...

There were 13 runs with a total number of units made at 16,500 pieces and yours was in the first run of 3000, as Dave points out....

All were size 37 movements and all were PS with the exception of those 2000 made in the second run and the database indicated they were W.I. and I don't know what the W.I. means unless it's Wind Indicators....

Anyone out there know for sure...?

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Thanks again for the information. Wind indicators probably were indicated with W.I. Some of the military ones I've seen on the internet had numerical W.I.'s. This one has a red dot that shows up when it needs winding. I can certainly understand how jewelers used them to time their watches, this one is very accurate. Probably to at least the 30 second per week rule.