Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN THIS WALTHAM DIAL? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
A FRIEND OF MINE WAS ASKING ME ABOUT THIS DIAL,,HERE IS SOME PCTURES HE EMAILED ME ,,THE ONLY INFO I COULD FIND ON IT WAS THAT THIS WAS WALTHAM,S ANSWER TO THE MONTGOMERY DIAL..PATENT APPLIED FOR IS MARKED ON THE DIAL..

IT IS ON A MODEL 1892 21 JEWEL MOVEMENT,,

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO ON THIS DIAL LET ME KNOW,, I THINK THAT THERE WAS NOT MANY OF THEM MADE

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
THE MOVEMENT

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Sammie,

In regards to the Montgomery dials, they were patented by H.S. Montgomery who at one time was the head of watch inspection for the Santa Fe Railway. Much has been written about Mongomery and his dials including a number of articles in the Bulletin.

The dial you pictured however, is not attributed to Montgomery. Off the top of my head, I cant remember the name of the individual who patented this design, but can look it up this evening if no else has it handy.

Three production variations have been seen for this dial. In addition to these variations, an 4th example with a brownish color has also been reported. This single example has the actual patent number obove the seconds bit.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Samie,

The name I was looking for is E.C. Fitch.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
There's a picture of that dial on p. 22 of the 2003 edition of Shugart. Here is an example from my collection, also on a 21-J Vanguard M92.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
THANKS EVERONE FOR THE PICTURES AND THE INFORMATION..THIS WILL ANSWER SEVERAL QUESTIONS FOR MY FRIEND AND ME ALSO.

WOULD YOU THINK THAT THESE WERE PUT ON THE MODEL 92 MOVEMENT ONLY,,THE EXAMPLES SHOWN HERE AND IN THE PRICE GUIDE ARE ALL ON MODEL 1892 WATCHES ..