Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

World Series pocket watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Not all of you will know that World Series (Baseball) winners have not always received rings. In the early part of the last century, they rec'd pocket watches, as was the custom for winners in other sports of the time period.
In 2007, I believe the first one of a 1923 WS presentation watch went to auction. See below for the story and a photo of the Gruen Pentagon watch presented.

The most recent 1923 Series watch to surface went under the gavel with Heritage Sports Auctions almost exactly a year ago (timing is everything) and sold for a whopping $33,460.

That's appreciation I'd like to see.

kh
(born in San Francisco and from that point on a diehard S.F. Giants fan)
I won't say who I think will prevail this year, but I'm looking forward to the Series which starts tonight.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Paul Krichell 1923 New York Yankees World Series Watch and Charm

Starting Bid - $2,500.00, Sold For - $7,050.00

Highly significant and rare New York Yankees 1923 World Series gold pocket watch issued to players and team personnel in commemoration of the club’s first World Championship in franchise history. This is the equivalent of a Yankees World Series ring for 1923. A watch was the standard presentation piece awarded by teams in honor of winning the World Series in the 1920s and before. (The first World Series ring ever presented by any team was the Giants in 1922; the first World Series ring presented by the Yankees was in 1927.) This watch was issued to legendary Yankees scout Paul Krichell (the man who discovered Lou Gehrig) and has been consigned directly by a family member. The Gruen Pentagon watch (manufactured by the renowned Gruen Watch Company) features a Precision-grade and Verithin movement, as noted on the face. The reverse displays an engraved baseball scene and is lettered “Yankees – World Champions 1923.” It is accompanied by its original black-leather case bearing the name of “The Frank Herschede Co., Cincinnati” (the jewelry company where the watches were purchased). This watch commemorates the start of baseball’s greatest dynasty. After losing the World Series to the Giants in both 1921 and 1922, the Yankees finally defeated their National League rivals in 1923, thus marking the first World Championship in franchise history. It would be the first of many World Championships for Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert and his club. Ruppert spared no expense that year in rewarding his players with an appropriate memento of their victory, for this exquisite piece was Gruen’s top-of-the-line watch. The historical significance of this piece is equaled by its rarity. Very few examples have ever surfaced and there are probably fewer than six known. To say that Krichell was looked upon favorably at the time by Yankees management would be a major understatement. Krichell had just signed Lou Gehrig the year before and Gehrig actually made his Major League debut in 1923. Unfortunately, he didn't appear in the Series because Giants manager John McGraw rejected the Yankees’ petition to put Gehrig on the 1923 World Series roster. Accompanying the watch is a New York Yankees 1923 World Championship gold charm which is also obviously team-issued. The small, round charm, engraved to resemble a baseball, is lettered “Yankees – 1923 Worlds Champions” on the front and features Krichell’s initials “PK” on the reverse. The watch (approximately 2 x 2 inches) is apparently not currently working, though it has obviously never been used and could no doubt easily be restored to working order; it is otherwise in Near Mint condition. This is the only 1923 Yankees Championship watch example we have seen which is accompanied by its original case. The case is in Excellent condition. The charm is also in Excellent condition. Total: 3 items (watch, watch case, and charm).

Reserve $2,500. Estimate $5,000+. SOLD FOR $7,050.00

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Haha, to a Yankees fan no doubt! This is an interesting multiple-category collectible: pocket watches and sports memorabilia.

For that kind of money, I hope it's the real deal and not a forgery of some kind.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004

posted
Well Ken - As a Cardinals fan, since I was knee high to a grasshopper, sure hope it does not turn out like the last time these two (2) teams met in the World Series! Sigh...

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I will not bet against you, Jon. The Cardinals are very good, and they're supposed to have fellow Cal alum and All-Star Alan Craig back in the line-up. If he finds his timing, it won't be close.

posted
Vegas odds had St. Louis 52% favorites in game one - but the 1st inning looked pretty rough... So, I dunno - would be fun to see it come down to game 7, though

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1824
posted
Nice ballpark picture Jon…..I remember both Sportsman Park (64 series was my childhood memory) and Bush Stadium (grew up in Collinsville) but have never make it yet to the new park, looks beautiful! Rooting for the Red Birds from Davie Fl….

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Jon did you make it to Game 1?

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012