• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Blind Man's Watch??? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone know if watches for blind men were ever specifically manufactured? I know that pocket watches were converted for use by the blind but....

Recently, I think I saw one. It is an Elgin, 18sz, hunter, with a solid 14k case (like new). Interestngly, it does not have a bezel or any threads to accept a bezel. That's what got me thinking that it might have been specifically made for the blind.

The dial is unusual as well. It does not have a seconds bit at all. It is marked "Elgin" but there is no provision for seconds. I have never seen a marked dial, in 18 sz, without a seconds bit.

I looked under the dial and the 4th wheel is finished without a seconds-pivot and it appears that it was not merely cut-off.

Does anyone know if any manufacturer (and specifically Elgin) ever made such a watch, specifically for the blind?

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
There were several pocket watches made for the blind by different companies. I know Bulova, Gotham and Baylor did because I own examples of each. I would be interested in knowing what the earliest known example is. Also, the "American Foundation for the Blind" had their own branded movements made which were UT6498's and assembled them here in America. I have one blind man's wrist watch which has a button to flip up the bezel which dates to the 50's. The movement is a 10 1/2 ligne Wakmann, but I think it's really an A. Schild.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Yes Peter, ELgin made them and I believe some other companies too (Waltham ?).

I have a 16s Elgin HC - it has heavy gauge steel hands, no second hand or bit on the dial, and no place on the case rim to accept a crystal. The dial has numbers but also round ceramic ? dots for hr markers.

I will see if I can find a pic of it to post. I asked about these several yrs ago on the green board and a gentleman from England responded that his uncle and father both were blinded in WWII. A social group bought the watches and loaned them to the blind. They were to be turned in when no longer needed.

He said they did not use the dots, but placed their thumb on the center post, feeling the hr & min hand placement in relation to the stem/case lid I suppose, and could tell fairly precise time.

Charlie

added : the case is a Keystone GF and the serial # is 42865830 which CS dates to 1944/45.

posted
The one I saw did not have the dots on the dial but it did have raised bars on the case, surrounding the dial, at 12,3,6,9.

I was told that they usually had very heavy steel hands.... The example I saw did not have them. I would imagine that finding those hands would be a challenge.

I've seen 16sz dials without seconds bits (although yours is obviously intended for blind-use). but I've never seen an 18sz one. There were no sweep-second, 18sized pocket-watches as far as I know.

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
I saw a NY City cab driver with one of these. I wonder if the original owner got a discount for purchasing it sight unseen.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
posted
I have heard that minute repeating watchs were originally developed to provide time-telling both for blind folks and for in the dark. How accurate this is I have not the foggiest notion and I may just be relaying a myth.

- Mark Lee

Posts: 148 | Location: Maryland in the U.S.A. | Registered: May 25, 2004
posted
I heard that they were for the dark.... back in the days when it was a major [difficulty] to have to light a candle or a lamp to check the time.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Is anyone else bothered that Dr. Geller saw a NYC cab driver wearing a blind man's watch? Eek Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
I have a European made Swiss blind persons watch,
I was under the impression most were made for soldiers of the Great War 1914-1918.

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Mark, I thought about that and was going to say something, but you beat me to it. Maybe that is why the NY cabbies get disoriented so often and take patrons so far out of their way to a destination.

Tom

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
New York cabbies are the "pin-ball wizards" of the Road.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Several sources informed me of a blind member of the Michigan legislature who carried an impressive gold repeater. Given the cost, I would imagine that only wealthy sightless persons could afford such a luxury.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002