Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 223 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi all few questions I have is this watch a good restoration project? or I be better of sell it and let someone else have fun.
Hands are rusted so by removing them I might break the staff also case is not original to movement
watch is SW and set not LS.No crystal but the movement is clean, running strong and as for keeping good time hmmmm cant be sure Wink

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
better picture of the movement.

posted
one more

posted
face.

posted
I would restore it and it is well worth the effort. Your watch is the victim of the dreaded out-gassing early yellow plastic crystals. I would get some cotton swabs and some rust-eater and dab some on the hands and pinion and for that matter place some cotton around what is left of the hands (I would take some side cut pliers and take off what is left of the hand shafts) and on that cotton put some of the rust-eater from time to time and give it a few days. Give it a few days and see if you can use a hand puller and get the remainder off, if not carefully using the small side cut pliers should work. Once the hands are off take the dial off and soak/clean it and you could use some white titanium acrylic paint on that chip to make it look a bit better. Well worth the effort.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Looks like a nice project. But how deeply are you going to go in restoring it? Are you planing on taking the watch completely apart?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Well I like to get new case with nice crystal and
hands and have someone else do the cleaning since
Im not a watch service person just novice collector.

posted
Sounds like a reasonable candidate for that.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
hmmmm Smile
Any one can give me some info of corect case and
hands for this monster.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I can't see where this is not the correct case for this "South Bend, 223, The Studebaker, watch Wink

What makes you think it isn't Confused

The hands are original. You need only find a minute hand, straight shaft and spade, like your hour hand.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
will have to post one more picture for all to see
case have cut outs two (2) for level setting.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
If the two cut outs for a "lever~set" movement are between 5 minutes & 8 minutes with a small piece of metal between them, it was more than likely done by a jeweler for a customer who wanted that movement in that particular case back in the day it was produced.

Some cases came with the one cut out at 5 minutes and others had no cut outs straight from the manufacturer to the jeweler.

The movements were sold cased and as a movement only. If they were sold cased from the manufacturer, they would be in a South Bend marked case more than likely.

If your metal ring that holds the movement, and where the two "case screws" hold it in place, has no other half moon shaped case screw imprint/marks from a different movement, then it is likely it is the original case.

The case is period correct for your movement.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thank you Buster will look in to it once I
get home from work Mad
But good to know the case is period correct Smile