• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

shine em up "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
this could be interesting--what does everyone use to shine up their watches and remove light scratches? what are your techniques, results and problems if any?

Posts: 60 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2013
IHC Member 1342
posted
Hi Robert! I use Simichrome polish, and a clean soft cloth. Then I will wash it with Dawn dishwash soap and a toothbrush - I have a dental air compressor for a gentle but complete air-blow dry, and a final wipe/buff with a clean cloth. Works well with both nickel and gold filled cases.

Marc Micale

Posts: 143 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: September 16, 2009
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Flitz is another good polish, Robert.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Aw! lets not forget the British Pre Lim and plain old rubbing compound car polish as well as Brasso.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Life Member
posted
I've used brasso works pretty good

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
car wax and brasso

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Elbow Grease, Soft Cotton Rags, Elbow Grease, Polishing cloths, Elbow Grease, Q-Tips, Elbow Grease and any Compound that makes things shiny without scratching or tarnishing, Elbow Grease, some lubrication of the winding stem, Elbow Grease and careful re-assembly including careful cleaning and wiping of the dial and crystal with lense wipes and cleaning of the metal plates with Rodico.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Wicked Metal Polish... Use it on my police bike.. Works really good on cases..

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Benny Courtney
posted
I first wash them in simple green then rinse in clear water and dry. I use MAAS polishing crème and buff with a soft cloth, then use a Jewelry and watch care cloth from AVON Products.

Posts: 14 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2013
IHC Member 1668
Picture of Donnie Tackett
posted
David,

It would be nice if a can of "Elbow Grease" could be bought at Wal-Mart like most other polishes!

Donnie T Smile

Posts: 84 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 30, 2012
posted
Hi Fellas-thanks for the input--I notice no one uses a buffing wheel -whats the deal with that too risky ?? BOB

Posts: 60 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2013
IHC Member 1725
posted
Never use a buffing wheel, and let me say it again, never use a buffer.

TP

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1110
posted
I've used Noxon metal ploish, if you can stand the smell it works well on silveroid cases.(has a nasty ammonia scent to it).

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Robert by using buffing wheel on gold plated
case you are removing the gold from that case
and if you not carefull the case can fly across the room and get bend/dent/ding.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1725
posted
David Abbe mentioned earlier in the topic something about cleaning watch crystals and dials with lens wipes.

1) I have been using this product a long time on watch crystals, clock glasses and porcelain watch dials and it is awesome.
2) I am not connected or affiliated with this product in anyway.
3) The product I am talking about is Castle Glass cleaner. The reason why I brought this up in this topic is because when there is a product out there this good that fits in our hobby I think it is worth mentioning.

IMHO there is no better glass/crystal cleaner out there.

Best Regards,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1701
posted
I have used Hope's brass polish for years. It has no ammonia or abrasives. $3.99 a bottle at Bed Bath & Beyond. It will make the old look new.

Posts: 38 | Location: Maryville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Ya! Buffers are great but they can burn an item. You use rouge on the wheel and that removes the gold as it is an abrasive. Even Brasso can remove the gold if not used gently. There are polishing cloths on the market, even Wall Mart sells one and they work very good. You will have to try different things and then settle on one that you like.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011