Clark Gable's Watch Cufflinks, Authentic? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I saw Clark Gable's cuff links "Certified Authentic" (?) on eBay:

Sheila

CGWATCHCUFFS1

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Truly authentic cuff links and truly authentic watch movements. Clark Gable's? One would think he could afford better.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's a pair of similar cuff links I own, also made from genuine watch movements. I wonder which famous person, if any, owned them before me ?? Wink

NOTE:- Maybe these were Clark Gable's Sunday set since they don't show any wear.??? Eek

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
FYI
The Central Watch Co. was The Benrus Watch Co. second line of watches.I think they were all 7 jewel.
I think Clark could afford better,but who knows?
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

A lot of things are claimed as linked to celebrities. Possibly Gable received them as a gift and they were found in his effects. Like you guys, they sure look like a yawn to me.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Well put Lindell,its not that they are fakes..it is that they just do not matter.No more then a tee shirt on his part.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
According to the auction they are supposed to be authentic. I did see the show they mentioned in their auction. These may be real!
But you never know.

PS I have written to them to find out, it's been relisted...

Sheila

posted
Sorry Sheila but i am skeptical, there are many con artists out there.I would need more proof than a certificate.Something like a while back on ebay was a watch that was suppose to be from the Titanic, the watch supposedly stopped shortly after the ship sank.
Ok good story, entertaining. Wink

posted
I wouldn't trust them either. Just thought they were different. I have never seen a watch marked Central Watch Co. before. Thanks for the information, I didn't know they were a Benrus watch!

Got an answer, check this out. Poo!

Hi,

The cufflinks were donated to an Aids Project Los Angeles Fundraiser, which is an organization in Los Angeles which raises funds to help people with AIDS. Years ago when the organization first started they had auctions and fundraisers once a year. People from the Hollywood and Beverly Hills area would donated items to help raise funds. Over a 5 year period I purchased over 40 items which included screenworn costumes of Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, Bette Davis, Judy Garland and many others. I alos purcahsed these cufflinks with many other celebrity owned items. My trust was in that I didn't think people would donate fake items for such a cause! No reciepts were given out at the time, you just paid and walked away.

I issue a certificate of authenticity from my company. I have been in business for over 15 years and have a good reputation even dealing with Christie's and Sotheby's.

Guido
MMDEALER

Like this makes them authentic! huh!

Sheila

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Well, his story IS true about the organisation and the fundraising, but the only way to begin to substantuate the cufflink connection would be to see if they still had records of donations made. I don't know how long the IRS requires charity organisations to keep records, but they may have them in the vaults.
This is a link to the charity....

http://www.thebody.com/apla/apla.html

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Sam,
Ya know, I think you're right. I also noted that I DID see the show they mention about Marylyn Monroe, and it was good. The only reason I mention that is, that they also talked about huge sales of celebrity items for charity after that one. Could all be authentic too!
All in the eye of the beholder I guess. I figure if you like it, go for it!
I think the the cufflinks are kinda neat, with or without any papers.

Sheila

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Let's see now...

I have this cheap pair of gold-plated cufflinks made from non-descript 7-jewel movements. I paid twenty bucks for them in a weak moment at a swap meet and I 'd look stupid wearing them. How do I make myself look like not so much of a cheapskate and help the charity along? I got it, Gable's been dead since 1960 so nobody will know, that's it... I'll say these cheap trinkets once belonged to him!

Yeah, and this old shirt was once worn by Marilyn, during the "Misfits" filming!

And these old shoes...

Big Grin Razz Eek Gimme a break! Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002