• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Would a Ball railroad grade ever be cased in a screw off front and a hinged rear case?

bchur

Posts: 38 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: November 06, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Bill I don't think Ball had any Ball marked cases like that but given that Ball movements were sold by jewelers who fitted them to the case desired by the buyer I cannot think it wasn't done.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I concur Deacon, I've never seen a Ball Model case like that either. The Ball Model-marked cases were either screwed or hinged as far as I know.

The closest thing to that I can think of in a Ball Model-marked case is a swing ring type (see picture), but I don't think that's what Bill means.

Swing Ring Ball Model Case
Photo Credit: Larry Buchan

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
I have the same Ball Canadian case, though much rougher, and the thought I have is that a fellow wanting a Ball might have liked the Wadsworth/Sangamo hinged back case and used that. I haqve a Waltham indicator that was probably purchased from a Ball dealer and the buyer apparently liked a white gold stirrup bow case. Hey in 1933 if you were selling an expensive watch you would want to make the customer happy!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Here is a picture

bchur

Ball

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bill, you have a very very nice "official" Ball watch case. Top Shelf!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes indeed, 20th Century Model hunter, you don't see those very often!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thanks guys!

bchur

IHC Life Member
posted
Bill that is a beautiful case I have never seen before. I have no idea what it is worth but it is rare I would say and no doubt would bring a good price!

Deacon