• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Queen of the Bank Box "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The most expensive and least handled item in my box is a private label minute repeater, jewelled to the hammers and in fine condition insofar as I can tell. Probably I should part with it, rather than let it sit around and let my executor figure out what to do with it. The question is, what is the thing worth? Some of them go through eBay, of course. It seems as though there ought to be a board where people interested in repeaters and other fine European stuff would gather, but I haven't found it yet. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Joe,

You've hit on an area that is almost a specialty unto itself.

The heartbeat of pocket watch collecting is Railroad Grade, with a big emphasis on the factory-cased watches of the 1920s through the 1960s time-frame. There is no shortage of interest, excitement and information on them. Big Grin

When you move into the more specialized niches of our hobby such as repeaters the information becomes noticeably less. A beginning is in a Find-Or-Search of the term "Repeater" where we find many references. You may find a similar one to yours among those pictured. But the watershed of information about your specific watch will come when you post images.

From that, similarities with others will emerge and you'll get a handle on what you have.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for the suggestions. My main activity has to do with Elgin convertibles, so I'm acquainted with out-of-the-mainstream hobbies.

Joe Jones

posted
Joseph, you've echoed something I've thought for a long time now, that there should be a header on these boards for European watches in their own right.

All to often I see a thread about a Swiss, English or German made watch get buried very quickly by several threads connected with US manufactured watches.

Very often too, a 'European watch' related thread will also get diluted by someone chipping in a reference to a US made watch which sets it off in a diffent direction!

If EU watches had their own category, then related threads would be less prone to getting totally buried within days, which virtually guarantees no response to an esoteric enquiry simply because they're no longer visible.

The 'clock' and 'Military watch' related boards don't suffer the same way because the threads are slower moving and cope well with a mix of US and European horology in a way that the Pocket and Wristwatch boards don't.

There must be hoardes of 'visitors' to the boards Outside the US, who have specific interests in EU manufactured watches and their history, and who are possibly put off or intimidated, not only from posting a thread, simply because the discussions appear too oriented towards US horology, (which many may have no interest in) - which is far from the truth!.

IHC 185 may be the acronym for 'Internet Horology Chapter 185' but in reality it's now 'International Horology Chapter 185'!

How do others feel about this?

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
Hi, Just sticking my nose into this thread. I agree 100% with John in that we need a unique header category for European timepieces. I too have an interest in this area of watches and watchmakers. But like John says, the topic is quickly lost under the generic "Pocket Watch Discussions" header.

And to John's point... we are an International Chapter that perhaps is losing potential membership from our overseas friends. Lets open "our doors" a little more. Big Grin

Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Excellent idea. The other board has a European watches department, but I don't see much activity going on there. There may well be a need looking to be satisfied.

Joe Jones

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

If I understand correctly, you guys are suggesting something like a "European Made Pocket Watches" forum. When we created our "Military Timepiece Discussions" a preliminary step was to identify how many existing topics we had that could be immediately placed into the new forum to help get it started.

This is something we could do but first... among the questions are (1) whether or not there is sufficient interest to support the forum and (2) do we have moderator/hosts who would take the on-going role in keeping it active and fresh. We would need at least one, preferably two people for those duties.

If we have strong interest and support we could do this.

Let's hear additional comments. Smile

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
Hi Lindell,

Yes, I think the EU forum is a suggestion at this point, and is worth consideration if membership sees a need. I know that since I have been a member there has not been much posted, but maybe I have missed some of the topics. Then again perhaps not much has been posted because 185 does not have a unique EU forum. Maybe a catch 22?

Perhaps to solicit membership comments and nurture interest, your thoughts posted above should be addressed in a separate "BOLD" topic. Like "Who carrys what watch"? This way it will be Always On Top and seen by current membership as well as 185 visitors. And not lost in the "Queen of the bank box" topic. Just a suggestion. Smile

Thanks, Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005