Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton serial + letter "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Fabrizio Di Claudio
posted
Hi all, in some pocket watch Hamilton i see movement serial number with letter B C S or E, what is the different with letter?
Two models of Hamilton are R.R. 992 950 and 992B and 950B, but i not know why.
You can see serial with letter on this site:
http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/hamiltonserials.html
Thank you very much!

Posts: 77 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Fabrizio,

That list is confusing and is based on estimates so it is not reliable.

If you want to get into Hamilton information begin in our Hamilton Research areas...

Hamilton 992B Research Forum

Hamilton Serial Numbers and Hamilton Horology

To begin answering your question about letters, the use of prefixes and suffixes is a way of adding tracking references to the numbers. As an example, when you see the Grade 992 that is an early pre-1930s watch. The 992E designation was used after the improvement of an Elinvar hairspring in the 1930s. Then in 1940 the 992B was developed. With the 950 we find the same thing, the Elinvar model is a 950E and the later 950B were the last ones made. On lists you may also find "L" after a number which means "Lever-Set" and "P" would mean "Pendant-Set" movements.

About prefixes, letters found before numbers, seeing a "C" and a number will be a 992B and a 950B will have an "S" before their numbers. And those are only two pocket watch models, there are wristwatch movements with prefixes and suffixes attached to their numbers as well. As I am writing this I realize how confusing this must be to those who are new to this hobby. But the more you read the various informational areas of our IHC site the easier it will be to understand.

I would also suggest becoming familiar with the "Find-Or-Search" tab where you can easily conduct a search for anything you are interested in reading about.

Understanding of the various watches and the companies that made them comes slowly, but it is an exciting adventure.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002