Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help please/Private label and info added "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I have some questions on this watch, so decided to post it here. I did bid on this one, but stopped bidding when I was not sure of it being what I wanted.

This watch serial number 326222 is listed as an MD Ogden, and the jewel count is listed as 7-11 Jewels.

My problem is, that I still have a lot of difficulty knowing how many jewels a watch has, and I wanted a higher jewel count this time, even though it had a unique cut out in the balance cock, and looked so clean.

So, can someone tell me how to determine what the jewel counts are, if possible?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Private Label

WH Joslin Holland Mich.

and check out the MANF' at the bottom.

neet

Sheila

WM Joslinw2

posted
This is another reason I was interested in this watch! What if it was HIS!!!!!!
Wish I had stuck it out.

Major W H Joslin was born in Ypsilanti, Mich., on the 5th day of September, 1829. He came with his parents to Wisconsin, but did not come to Richland county until 1848, which was one year after the family had settled on Ash creek. In 1852 he married Margaret M Gillan. She is a daughter of Charles and Clarinda Gillan, and was born in Illinois, but came with her parents to Wisconsin when two years of age. One year after marriage Mr. Joslin settled in the town of Henrietta, and engaged in farming until 1858, in which year he was elected county sheriff. He then removed to Richland Center and served the people one term, when he again resumed farming. He subsequently spent one year in Colorado, but his family did not leave the county. In August, 1862, enthused with the patriotism for his country, he raised a company of men of which he was chosen captain, and in September following, mustered into service as company B, of the 25th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. One year later Capt. Joslin was promoted to major, which rank he held until June, 1865, when he was mustered out of service and by brevet was given the rank of lieutenant-colonel. Returning from service he again engaged in farming, and in 1868 was elected county treasurer and served as such for two consecutive terms, then again returned to the farm, also followed milling at Bowen's mills. In 1880 he represented his district in the Assembly, and since January, 1882, has been assistant superintendent of public property at Madison. But his family resides at Richland Center. Thus it can be seen that Major Joslin has been prominently connected with the interests of the county for a quarter of a century. He was a brave soldier, an efficient officer, a good citizen and has a host of friends. In politics he has acted with the republican party since its organization. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the GAR and a Knight Templar. The children are --- Mary A, now the wife of John W Bowen; Frank W, James G, Henry C and Hattie C, twins, Susie B and May.

Sheila

posted
This is an attractive watch all right. The cutout on the balance cock is frequently seen on early private label Elgins. Private label Elgins aren't seen as often as private label watches of some other makers.
Usually private label watches carry the name of the retailer who sold them, but there's no reason an individual couldn't have ordered a watch with his name on the movement.
This movement has four plate jewels visible to us, and the description of the run says they were 7-11 jewel movements. Therefore, this is an 11-jewel movement, 7 jewels in the escapement plus the four on the top plate. The plate jewels are essentially nonfunctional, since the other end of the four staffs just run in the brass of the dial plate, but an arrangement often used in the 19th century, even in rather highly finished movements.
It looks like a desirable watch to me, but I'm highly prejudiced toward Elgin. I hope you bought it.

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
posted
Joseph,
I wish I could confess that I sruck it out for this one, but alas, I quit bidding, because I wanted a higher jewel count, and didn't know for sure what it was.

I could kick myself for not bidding higher.

Your information will really help me with future auctions. Thank you so much for your post, it's most appreciated.

I just realized that I wrote regulator in my description of the cut out!!! and I even KNEW that it was a balance cock!!! I have finally been learning all the other parts that I didn't know before and still messed up. Eek Big Grin
Or did I? which is which? so confused!
Last question, how would I know a 21 Jewel movement? any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Sheila

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Sheila,
A few general guidelines on determining pocket watch jewel counts. Note: There are exceptions out there, these points will NOT be 100% accurate all the time. These apply only to regular detached lever movements, not to cylinder, duplex or chronometer escapements.

7 Jewels
The only visible jewel will be the one on the balance cock directly over the balance wheel. All the other bushings surrounding the train arbors will be plain metal bearings.

11 Jewels
Usually the jewels visible in the top plate will be in burnished in settings (no visible jewel screws holding the jewel setting into the plate.) There should be four jewels, (plus the balance jewel) visible, all should be hole jewels so that the tip of the arbor shaft will be visible though the jewel. Compare the hole jewel setting with that over the balance. The balance has two jewels on each end, a hole jewel and a flat or cap jewel mounted directly over it. Thus the end of the balance staff does not protrude through the cap jewel.
If you can see only two plate jewels in the top plate, along with two plain metal bushings, then the movement is either a 9 or an 11 jewel, depending if the two top jeweled holes are also jeweled on the bottom, or pillar, plate.

15 Jewels
These movements will also have the top four plates jeweled, but will usually have them in jewel settings, along with a pair of visible jewel screws holding each setting into the plate. Some, but not all, will be engraved with the jewel count.

17 Jewels
If the movement has a jewel setting directly in the center of the watch it will contain 17 jewels, or if the lower center wheel arbor was not jeweled in the pillar plate, 16 jewels. On 18 size movements the balance cock will sometimes obscure the center wheel pivot, they can be a little hard to see. Usually by the time a manufacturer put in 17 or more jewels they would engrave the jewel count on the plates. These were the higher grade movements and the manufacturers were proud of them.

19 Jewels
Almost all 19 jewel movements are marked with the jewel count. The 18th & 19th jewels were either: A) A jeweled barrel (You can either see the jewel setting over the mainspring barrel or it will say "Jeweled barrel" on the plates.)
B) A cap (solid, no hole) jewel over the escape wheel arbor, or, rarely
C) A cap jewel over the pallet fork arbor.

21 Jewels
These are almost always marked. Movements can either have cap jewels over both the pallet and escape arbors or cap jewels over only one of them and a jeweled barrel. Note, Some of the 18 size Elgins were 20 jewels, with cap jewels over the escape and pallet , but no jewel on the lower center wheel , where it cannot be seen without tearing the watch down to look.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Ed,
That is SSSSSOOOOO perfect!!!!!

Just could not be better, it's even easy for me to understand!

Thank you so very much.

Sheila