Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1905 Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings again all.
Completely unintentionally, I seem to be having some decent luck picking up some older Elgins lately. Here's another one I'd love input on. It's the first one that I've found with the three finger and I've always thought they were really neat! Anyway, as usual, any and all thoughts are appreciated.
First is the dial. There is a hairline from the center up through the 12.

Posts: 259 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Next is the movement. As I said, I think the fingers are just great. Serial # is 12103574.

Posts: 259 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
A few of the case. First one is totally opened.

posted
I like the engraving on the case too. Here's the front.

posted
And the back with a cute little school house or church engraved.

posted
Lastly is the inside of the case. I'm assuming it's gold filled, but I'm still looking for my book. Any thoughts?

posted
That's it. Thanks for bearing with me again.
Have a good week all!
Ed

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ed,

In looking at a previous post made by Lindell, he states:

"James Boss was an originator of the gold-filled process."

and in that link he provides more information.

And here is more particulars about the scales.

Smile

Posts: 5259 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thanks Debbie. Now I know! This is one of my favorite cases so far so it's nice having more information about it.

Administrative Assistant
posted

You are welcome!

Smile

Posts: 5259 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
After almost two weeks, I finally remembered a question that I had. How usual or unusual are the three finger bridges? Not just with Elgins, but in general. I've seen lots of photos of watches but the three finger variety seem to be much less common. Was there a particular period that these were really popular? Did one company do them more than another?
Always looking to add more knowledge to my poor little pea brain!
Ed

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Elgin and Illinois was the only manufacturer of 3 fingers .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Administrative Assistant
posted

Using our "Find or Search Feature" I was able to find other topics discussing three finger bridges...

Three Finger Bridges

3 Finger Bridges

Hope the information in those previous discussions are of help.

Smile

posted
Thanks again for the further info Debbie! Good stuff. I like the fact that Stephanie had a post from 2004 with her watch from just a year before mine. They may have created them for purely aesthetic purposes, but it works for me. I'm happy I could snag this one!

Administrative Assistant
posted

You are welcome.

Smile