Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Ball Riddle? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I just got S/N 3521200 17j Bunn with a "Ball Case" and #22 something on the back cover. From the first time I saw it, I knew there must be an interesting history. I will get better pictures and details when it arrives in a few days. Look at the seller's pictures. My first thoughts are it may be some kind of "Loaner" Please add to the thread any other ideas of what this might be.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Back Cover, Inside

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Back Cover, Outside

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dial (do these people take their pictures in Caves?)

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Dave,

Did you say... Riddle ?

Aw shucks, I thought you'd found a watch with my name on it! Smile

But seriously, to my eye it does look like you have the remnants of a loaner case. If you can make out the name and address it can probably be verified.

These were used as the name implies as loaner watches supplied by the time inspector when a railroad employee's watch required service. Whether the movement housed in the case at this time was used as a loaner is anyone's guess but it may well have been.

I have one former loaner in my Ball watch collection. As you see in the merged image below mine is of a similar design down to even being the same make and model of case. It stands to reason the preferred case for loaners would have been "Silveroid" which are nickel cases.

Ball-Model cases are worthwhile and loaners are of special interest to us as collectors.

Loaners were usually housed in tough nickel cases...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Friends,

I notice that the circle within a circle design with the number in the center is identical right down to the design of the circles and their sizes in both Lindell's and Dave's cases. So I would agree Dave that odds are you have a loaner winner there. Might we have an idea of what you paid for this small risk on Ebay, since there has been much discussion within the chapter about the win to loss ratio on Ebay.

Thanks,

John

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I bid this seriously because;
1. The seller was not a watch-collector-hustler, just someone cleaning out their closet.
2. It is a Bunn.
3. I like lower Jewel counts as they are less common.
4. I figured with the Ball case mark it was special.
5. I like Purpose-Used watches in my personal collection.
6. The apparent loaner case with no other case screw marks made this this an excellent gamble for my personal collection.

I paid $280.00, I was up against a friend-collector in the Midwest, and He finally gave out at that price.

When it arrives, I will clean and service this, put it back in order, verify all S/N's and then do better Pic's.

posted
David,

I think you still did very well. I think several members would be willing to pay some where in the neighborhood of your $280.00 for the Ball loaner case once it is cleaned,polished, and correctly identified. This would give you a free lessor seen 17 jewel Bunn in the bargin. A good deal my friend. I look forward to seeing the photos.

John

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I recieved the watch. This Illinois 17j Bunn 5-place adjusted s/n 3521200 (c.a.1918-19) watch is original-cased in a "Ball Model" (press-engraved above the Keystone "silveroid" s/n 413301 case sig.)case with "Chris Bauer Mounds Ill" in the outer circle, and the number "22" engraved in the center of the inner circle of the case back.

Chris Bauer was the Watch-maker son of a river-boat owner, opened a watchmaking and jewelry store in Mounds Ill, in 1911. His was a thriving business until his passing in 1937.

As Mound Ill was a "Terminal" for the Illinois Central RR, the prosperity of the times kept Mr. Bauer's business open 6 days a week until 9PM at night.

As Bauer was a certified watchmaker, and as this is a 17j 5-position adjusted Bunn in a "Ball Model" AND Bauer-name engraved original case, I have little doubt that further research will show that Bauer was servicing and loaning watches for and to railroad people, and that this was #22 of his loaners. I will do my best to clean this up and it will definitely become an intregal part of my "REALLY USED" watch collection.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Here it is cleaned up and running like a railroad watch. (Loaner at least)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sometimes I think people tried to get these going again with wd-40! I could smell it on this when I started cleaning it!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Case Back "Loaner" markings. This fella saw a lot of use!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Illinois Bunn . . Ball-Cased S/N 3521200 # 22 Loaner up close and personal

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

I am several years behind with this but if you are interest but there was a Chris Bauer who was born about 1888 in Tn & in the 1920 census he is living in Mounds, Pulaski, Illinois & is married to Dolly & they have a son Elmer L. & Chris is listed as a jeweler.

I would love to own that watch!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
1930 census, same location
Christian H. Bauer born about 1888 still listed as a jeweler, wife Dollie A., daughter Eleanor L. & son Harry C.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Greg Frauenhoff's Vol 2 compendium of Watch Inspectors reports Chris Bauer was based in Mounds Illinois and worked as an Illinois Central Watch Inspector in 1920. I have kept this watch running continuously for at least 15 months and it keeps good time. I carry it often.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

I had made a typo, I changed it to Mounds, still a nice watch.

Tom