Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Electric Railroad Standard Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,

I have an Illinois Getty Tu-Tone 17jewel Hunter Movement serial #1923071, it is marked 'adjusted' and has 'Electric Railway Standard' on the movement and dial. The serial number run this comes from 1,923,051 - 1,923,100 is not listed as a run of (50) Electric Railway Standard watches in the Illinois database, the previous run of 30 is. My questions are actually how many of these getty movements were made as Electric Railway Standard watches, are they all tu-tone and how rare and valuable are they?

Regards to All,

Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I think you have already answered your own question, this IS a Grade 185, with about 80 known to be made as "Electric RR Standard" in two lots, 1907071-100, 1906, and your 1923051-1923100 also later in 1906. You have a rfairly rare marked Electric Std in a fairly rare set of Grade 185 of which the total production of all were 7060 including yours.

The finishing of all of them varied with their assignment as several names (including Non-Magnetic) were used.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Bila,

There are collectors that specialize in various "electric railroad" or "streetcar" watches, IMHO that would be your best market if you're looking to sell it.

From David's research, this variant is so uncommon, it's a good bet most of these "streetcar watch" collectors won't have one.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks David and Ed for your comments, I thought I would ask as the database cd that I have only lists one lot of 30 and mine was outside that serial number run, because of this I thought maybe there were a lot of others in different runs that were not mentioned as well. Maybe there is an updated version of the cd I have.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011