Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information needed about P.S. Barton please "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
If anyone can help with any information about a person P.S. Barton I would appreciate it.

I have a private label watch with his name on it. Here is what I have been able to find out about P.S. Barton. P.S. Barton was an employee or representative of "The Jewelers' Circular" (as to what capacity I do not know) in 1897. His name is listed as a member of "The Jewelers' Circular" on an outing of a meeting of the "New England Manufacturing Jewelers" on June 25, 1897 in "The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review" Vol. XXXIV page 11. The meeting took place in Providence, R.I. June 25th, 1897 aboard the steamer Squantum.

Thank you for any help you can give me,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
It appears to be a Swiss Fake and if it is I paid way too much for it but I liked it and if it is a Swiss Fake private label that is fine but still a neat watch to me.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Harry, that sounds like they were trying to cash in on Waltham's popular P.S. Bartlett doesn't it? Kind of like all those Time Ball watches that are still fooling people today! Take care , Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Yes it does but there actually was a P.S. Barton back in 1897 that worked for The Jewelers' Circular that is why I think it is a private label. It is probably Swiss but a lot of the American watch Companies of the late 1800 got their start using Swiss watches with their names on it. Also the Swiss fakes always tried to mislead you with a very similar spelling of the watch they are coping. The Swiss fake almost always put a well known city and state on the watch also trying to mislead you into believing it is an American Watch.

This one is different. It is actually named after someone in the Jewelry business of the time. This one has no city nor any state mentioned. The dial and the movement are both signed "The American Watch". It could be an attempt to copy Waltham with the P.S. Bartlett but the Walthams of that time period were not signed "American Watch Co.". They were signed with the grade and the city and state. EX. "Appleton Tracy & Co, Waltham, Mass.".

For these reasons are the reasons I am trying to find out who this P.S. Barton was since he was a real person and he was involved in the jewelry trade.

It may be something as simple as what you suspect and it could be more involved. I do believe this is a Swiss fake and that P.S. Barton either wanted a watch or a series of watches with his name or jewelry company name on the watch and a very specific name for his watch. It may have been something as simple as him wanting his very own watch with his name on it.

Anyway that is why I am trying to find out more about P.S Barton since he was a real person in the jewelry trade when this watch was made.

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
More information about this watch. It has three dial feet. I am guessing at the position when it falls between to whole numbers but I am close. Feet 17.2, 37.8and 53.4. It actually reminds me more of an old English watch than it does Swiss.

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Member 1650
posted
Those dial feet positions are the same as a Waltham 1857. The plate layout and screw positions are also the same. Does your movement have a serial #?

Posts: 372 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Douglas it is 6089 but the barrel bride plate is wrong for a Model 57.

Harry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Harry, if you have a copy of Roy Ehrhardt's 1980 price indicator book, a P.S. Barton almost identical to yours is shown on pg. 23.It's # 6161, has a different engraving design on the balance cock.It's listed as an English import.Not a Swiss fake after all.Hope this helps, Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I forgot to say, yours has more jewels than the one in the book, which is probably 7 jewels.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Ted! I was leaning towards an English watch after examining it today. I don't have the 1980 copy of Roy Ehrhardt's price guide but I do have a few older copies. I will see if I can find it in the older books. I feel much better it being an English import rather than a Swiss Fake.

Thanks again Ted,
Harry

IHC Member 1110
posted
You're welcome Harry!I have no way to post a pic of that page,otherwise I would.Take care, Ted.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Ted. I just checked all my books and I don't have it. But thanks to you I know where to find it should I ever see the book for sale.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Ted I think I found the book. Is it a yellowish/orange color cover?

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Member 1110
posted
That's it Harry. On pg. 23, upper right corner.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Ted and whomever put the picture in my post.

Harry

posted
Hi Harry,
It is also in the Gold Book
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Bill. I am not familiar with the gold book.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bill I did some investigation and I know am familiar with the "Gold Book". Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Harry