WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rare HI grade 12 size are bargains compared to RR watches "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
The purpose of this email is illustrate the great value that scarce high grade 12 size watches represent compared to even common Railroad Watches.

Yesterday I picked up a 21j Open Face 12 size Washington Watch Co.( made for the Montgomery Ward Co. by Illinois-see photos )
-- Army Navy Model
--( N=100)
--Grade 273
-- 14kt Solidarity gold case

for under $400.

The Army Navy Model was made in 4 production runs between 1913 and 1915 .The case alone is worth at least $250 in melt value.

The original dial (which is often replaced) is in great shape.

The movement is adjusted to temperature,five positions and isochronism and has a gold center wheel,compensation balance wheel with timing screw,steel escapement wheel, train and winding wheel.

As you can see this is not a typical Illinois Private Label . The plate layout is very distinctive.

Even most common RR watches in decent shape would cost more than this watch. How many collectors could ever afford a RR watch with a production of 100 and only 3 or 4 known examples. In fact on my beer pocket budget I was able to purchase two of these watches.

Bob

12size mvt 21j Washington Watch Co-Army Navy

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Dial for 21j Washington Watch Co-- Army Navy --Grade 273

Original Dial--21j Army Navy-

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
posted
Bob,

That watch is a real honey! Since you have two then you can sell me one right? Wink

I have said before if you keep tipping off the others to the super fantastic deals we are getting on solid gold 12 size watches (normally for 20% to 30% less than the gold value alone) then they will all be doing it! So Shhhhhhhhh please. Big Grin

John