Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden confusion!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I have a Hampden 16s, 17j, lever set Wm McKinley. The Hampden data base says it is a Mdl 5. It does not match the pic in Shugart's price guide for a mdl #5. It appears to be a mdl #7. But the mdl #7 was made in pendent set only!
I thought I had found a parts watch but it has me confused also. The data base lists it as a mdl #5 also, but the layout is backwards.
Any help appreciated!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
This is the parts watch.
Sorry for the lousey pic above.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Ed,

Frankly, you have good reason to be confused.

Both the barrel bridge and the drawing shown in your first post are Model 5 Open-Face movements. The second image, the Grade 98 is a Hunter-Style Model 5 movement. This is according to pages 60 and 61 of the "Hampden Watch Co." book by the late Jim Hernick, Bob Arnold and a stellar group of Hampden experts.

I believe the Shugart Watch Guide is incorrect as follows...

On page 250 movement number 1796854 claimed there to be a model 5 is listed by number as an Open-Face, Pendant-Set, Model 4 on page 142 of the Hampden book. Shugart's page 250 reference to Model 6 matches as being a Model 5, Grade 99 listed specifically by movement number 3074496 on page 154 of the Hampden book. Movement number 3155762 shown on Shugart page 251 as a Model 7 is listed by that same number as being a 16-size, Model 5, Pendant-Set, Grade 107 on page 155 of the Hampden book.

It is also material to point out at this juncture that the Hampden book shows illustrations of the 16-size Model 5 on pages 58 through 61 inclusive and no Model 6 or 7 for 16-size movements are shown anywhere in that authoritative volume. Apparently watch guide references to Models 6 and 7 are incorrect.

The information above will be on this year's version of the revision list prepared annually by IHC185 to help correct errors that have crept into the watch guide. In fact, the authors and editors of "The Complete Guide to Watches" used more than a hundred of our suggestions in improving the 2009 over the 2008 edition.

Constructive suggestions may be posted by IHC185 Members here...

CLICK FOR: Help Update the "Complete Guide to Watches"

Hope this is of help to you and to others.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Hello Lin,
Thank you for clearing up my confusion. Most of my identification of movements is from Shugart's guide, I tend to take it at face value.
I should have known by looking at the parts watch that it was a hunting mvt because of the arrangement of the crown and rachet wheels. But by then I was a little confused anyway.
At this point all I need is a canon pinion and a crown wheel to complete my Wm McKinley.
I am still tracking the parts watch but should put some feelers out for just the two parts I need.
As always, you are a great help, thanks!
Ed

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
ED
Until The Hampden Watch Co book was published there was a great deal of misinformation about Hampdens.

I helped clean up the 12 size section of Shugarts Guide but the 16 size section hasn't seen the same attention.

Estimated production of the Grade 98 Hunter is about 4,000.The 17j Hunter Grade 98 is Pendant set and Unadjusted.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004