Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What model and grade is this 18s US Watch Co? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Picked up an oldie and thought it had a higher jewel count than 7, but I can only count 6. There are no jewels on the dial plate side of the movement other than the balance staff pivot, just the ones showing on the back and no jewels on the pallet fork. So the serial is 401786 which places it around 1892. Also what do they call this style of regulator with the double arm? It runs very well after a simple clean and oil.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Here's the dial side of this movement.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
posted
Hey Roland, I'll take a guess. 4 on the pivots,2 upper and lower balance jewels,and 2 jewel caps,1 roller jewel,and 2 pallet jewels. Looks to be 11 jewels.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
Just reread your post. No jewels on the pallet fork? What does it have in place of the jewels,metal?

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Cecil, I can't see any jewels on the pallet fork, so looks like metal, maybe carborundum (sp). I'll have to look again, but I tried to take a picture and it only showed dull metal, where as usually it'll shine if it's a jewel of some sort.

Roland.

R. Glenn

posted
Roland,
I give credit to Mike Fenton of IHC for the Sears and Roebuck identification of your case in a separate, previous post.

With regard to this watch, "The book" has a nice little paragraph about US Watches of Waltham. It says that "The fork was made of an aluminum alloy with a circular slot and a square ruby pin". So, it looks to me like only 2 jewels on the staff, 1 jewel on the pallet (square ruby pin), and 4 jewels showing on the pivots = 7 jewels.

I don't know if that regulator has a name. But it seems unique to US Watch Co. of Waltham.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Mike, I agree about Mike Fenton id on the S&R case, very cool, as I would have never thought of Sears. Then again I've only been into pocket watches a couple of years now.
As for this movement, I think your're right as I can clearly count 6 jewels, but couldn't see the square ruby pin, so 7 total makes sense. I wonder back in the day if USWCO tried to make their movements appear higher end, as from the back you'd think it was at least a 15 jewel, until you happen to remove the dial and realize that it's much less.

Still don't know the model or grade. The movement has the same plates as the President, but without markings and jewel count, or like the one posted but without the 2-tone.

And being from 1892, maybe a model 2?

Thanks again Mike for the insight.

Much appreciated.

Roland.

R. Glenn

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Roland,
I believe your watch is an 11 jewel. I think the square jewel pin you mention refers to the roller jewel. A 7 jewel movement wouldn't have any jewels in the plate.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hmmm. Gets me thinking here. If it wasn't for the fact that the plate serials match I'd say the back plate had been swapped up. I can't count any jewels on the dial plate at all. Only back, balance pivots (+caps). Usually I can tell right away, but this one just seems to be a bit different. I can see why Waltham didn't approve of this company.

Thank you, Roland.

R. Glenn

posted
Maybe it is just MEANT to look like an 11 (or more) jewel model by thrusting those plate jewels out there for the unsuspecting consumer to wrongly assume.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Mike, I think you're right. It runs great and has an awesome case, just don't show the total movementSmile

R. Glenn

posted
Roland,
I am posting below a scan from "American Pocket Watches" by Meggers and Ehrhardt, that gives the various combinations possible for 'US Watch Co. / Waltham' 18s watches by jewel count and Open versus hunting style movements. For 18s movements there are only 2 possibilities for 7 jewel movements, and these are dependent on whether they are open face or hunter case movements. When you determine if your watch is HC, or OF, you can easily determine its grade (either 48, or 88).We provide, you decide Big Grin

Question: Is the balance jewel pivot cap-jeweled, or is it bare? I think I see a bare pivot from your pictures.

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Mike, the attached image shows the balance is capped. So from the scan you posted it looks to be a grade "88" and is the code OG2L meaning it's open face, model 2, Lever-set, Unadjusted, Grade 88?
Not sure if the G is for Gilded plates, which this one is nickel and they don't list a 18-7j N, we're now into the 11j and grade 98.

Lots of fun and I do appreciate the We Provide, You Decide clause. Big Grin

R. Glenn

posted
Yeah, "G" is for gilded. In all likelihood, the value of the gilded and damaskeened nickel varieties are the same. The light reflection on that cap jewel really made it look like it might not have been capped! Great closeup Roland!
It looks more and more likely this is somehow an 11 jewel model watch, don't it?

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Mike, thx for the image close up bit. I've got an old 2000 Nikon that still is better than my Luminix. It does look as though it's goning to be an 11 jewel. But all I can count is what you see on the back plate plus one cap jewel. There isn't a cap jewel on the lower balance pivot. So it still comes out at 7 jewels, but if it was a gilded movement then it would make sense, but it's Nickel, so that throws into the 11 jewel listings. Hmmm, never had this type of a stump. As you can see I've got a close up and I took images of the dial plate side too and no jewels on the side other than the lower balance pivot.

Thx for hanging in here on this thread Mike.
Much appreciated.

Roland.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Here's a blurry shot of the alloy pallet fork which does'nt have any jewels, just metal ends.

R. Glenn