• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1892 Service Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My Amish watchmaker friend, lacking the internet as a discussion tool, mailed me the following question:

"I have seen numerous broken pallet arbor pivots and two broken pallet fork arms in my career from Waltham's '92 Model. They are notorious for broken parts because slightly inexperienced watchmakers do not realize that there is a certain technique in removing the upper plate. What have others done to repair the damage without scrapping another 1892 movement for parts?"

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eric, That is sort of a rhetorical question. Neither of these options has anything to do with scrapping the movement which is far too valuable to scrap for this reason.
If the pallet pivot breaks, one must re-staff the pallet arm. If the Pallet fork breaks off they need a new pallet fork assembly.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I'm thinking he wants to avoid robbing one from another movement, and is looking for an alternative. This is the kind of guy who could probably make a pallet fork from scratch but would prefer to alter a close replacement.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eric, Please find out what he needs so we can try to be of help with this.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
It would be interesting to see this mans shop.I'm sure without electricity he has to use a treadle to run his lathe.What about lighting,kerosene? Where did he get his training? I know a lot of Amish around here and none of them have watchmaking skills.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004