WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Eric Unselt's Display Case with Hampden Railroad Grade Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I thought members might enjoy seeing Eric Unselt's beautiful Maple Display Case even if I did fill it with my Hampden Railroad Watch Collection.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Hidden stash!

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Very Nice, Deacon.... The watches too.... Big Grin

Looks like it was built just for you....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, you have to take a lot of abuse to be a Hampden Collector. Thank You and thanks to Eric Unselt.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Looks great! Nice watches too.

I have a few Hamptons but my main collection is South Bend. You really get abuse collecting them. I even had an old line NAWCC member tell me a few years ago I was waisting my time because South Bend Watches were of no consequence and had very little value.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Deacon,
I just LOVE that case! I really wanted to snipe it from the highest bidded, but even though I couldn't, I'm so glad to see that it has a great home, and has those beautiful watches in it.

As far as a "Brand" of watch goes, I love each and every one I own, even my really, really, really, cheap dollar watches! They run no matter what you do to them.

I never could understand why some think, that a watch could be anything, other than a work of Art, regardless of who made it.

I have a huge "Passion for Elgin's" but I love to wrap my hands around ANY Antique watch.

They just make me feel "Fuzzy" inside. hehehe

Again, I love your display case, it's perfect!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Richard, I enjoy looking at your beautiful display case ESPECIALLY because it contains your Hampden Railroad watch collection!

Hope this made up for some of the abuse.

Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Hey Richard,
Talk about Hampden abuse. Not long after I started collecting,I scored my first 21 jewel watch. It was a Hampden,John Hancock. I was at a party a little while later,carrying my newly aquired Hampden when I ran into a fellow that turned out to be a watch collector. I was pretty quick to show off my new old watch. He looked,kinda grunted,and informed me that he didn't collect "cheap watches",only Hamiltons. I guess you know,that conversation was over. I still have that watch,and it is still one of my favorites,along with my little 12 size 17 jewel Hampden Nathan Hale.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
Your case,and your Hampdens are something to be proud of,which I'm sure you are.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Hi Deacon, Why would you want to show off a Hampden??

Just kidding around here. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

They and the case are magnificent, Thank you for showing them to us.

Phil.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Brian C.
posted
There's nothing to be ashamed of with Hampdens. They made a fine watch.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice case and collection,Deacon! I too am a Hampden collector ( Brand X) to a lot of watch people.My first was a 12s General Stark I got when I was about 7 yrs. old.I still have it today.In spite of what the rest of the watch world thinks, I'm proud of my Hampdens.Don't forget what 18s Hamiltons were based on!..Ted B.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom I have always thought that the railroad grade Hampdens were underappreciated but I also have a 15j 18s John Dueber that keeps astonishingly good time. My best $50 pawnshop buy. Regards, Deacon

Deacon

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Deacon, I happen to agree with you regarding the Hampdens, in that they are a very good buy in the railroad grades when compared to the same class of Hamilton....

Of course I also think the BWR, Veritas and Father Time watches are in the same catagory....

Great job and keep on showing your Hampdens....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Deacon - Eric's display case and your Hampden's look great together! While I am not very familiar with Hampden's, everything I have read and heard about them has been good and, while not as famous as Hamilton, Elgin or Illinois, they can still keep up with the big boys and look to be just as well made. You have a collection to be proud of!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008