Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Electric Railroad Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1613
posted
I have been trying to buy a Illinois Electric Railroad Special for a while now from a person close to where I live. I had one several years ago and I am thinking it had an 19 jewel movement. I can't remember what grade. My questions are:
1. Did they come in both Hunting and OF models?
2. Did they have a specific model movement?
I have only seen the case and dial of this watch and would like to know a little more before I go to look at it...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Gary,
This is what Larry Treiman writes in an article about Interurban watches.
"The Illinois Watch Company produced a variety of watches that were not quite railroad watches, but were popular on street and interurban railways. These included a number of 16 size grades, with from 17 to 21 jewels, and three or four position adjustments in lever or pendant set styles. Illinois supplied watches with dials marked Illinois Electric Railroad Standard"

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1613
posted
The dial is marked Standard and not Special my mistake. So it could be any movement from 17 to 21 jewel. All I am really paying extra for is the dial. Is there any specific production dates for the Illinois ERS watches??

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Gary, if anyway possible, get the serial number of the movement....then our Illinois experts can tell you anything you want to know about the movement....

The dial...would be nice to see a pic of it....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hi Gary,
I have an Electric Railroad Standard dial that is on a 19 jewel Stewart Special, grade 806. It is as i purchased it many years ago and i dont know if its an original combination or not. The Stewart Specials were private labels to a Chicago company named Sproehnle & Co. The firm was in business from 1897 to 1923, and my movt was somewhere toward the end of 1923 or maybe even 1924 so im not so sure if the dial belongs on it or not.
Here is the movement

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Well lets see, i just checked the big book and they have an Electric railroad standard And special listed. The "Standard" is described as circa 1907 and 17 or 19 jewels. (its on page 240). So, if the 1907 date is correct the dial definitely predates my movement.

To add, on page 265 they have both the standard and special pictured although the railroad standard dial they show looks nothing like mine.
The dial

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Gary,
To add to what Ray has posted:

1. Most the movements were OF but some Hunting models were made. (see below)

2. Yes they are specific to grades. (see below)

3. No you're not paying extra just for a dial the movement should also be marked Electric Railroad Standard.

4. In addition to the grades below there is one grade 175 known to exist.

Good Luck,

RR

From page 240 Meggers and Ehrhardt: American Pocket Watches, Illinis Watch Co. Vol. 2

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1613
posted
Thanks Richard...That helps alot...I knew this info had to be available somewhere...I have that Illinois book but have not been able to lay my hands on it..I guess I will look a little harder..