WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery Waltham, what time frame? Gold Flashed grade 1883 ATC "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a sidewinder,(hunter) in an open face case, It is a stem wind but I am not sure it is a pendant or lever set and it is from the description an 18 size movement.

It has a double sunk dial with the following scripting. In block letters it has "American", in the line below American it has Waltham Watch Co. in fancy script lettering.

I would guess it is a 15-17 jewel watch but did not know how long this style dial was used by Waltham, any thoughts what is the time frame of this dial?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Seller was able to get the back off before shipping and it appears to be this grade

A T & Co
Movement Serial Number: 5716117
Estimated Production Year: 1893
Run Quantity: 500
Size: 18s
Jewels: 15j
Movement Configuration: Hunting
Movement Finish: Unknown
Model: 1883
Movement Setting: Unknown
Plate: Full Plate
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted to Positions: Unknown
Railroad Grade: Unknown
Notes: A T & Co

From the seller's description it is a gilt finish since she mentioned a gold look. Will need hands and probably service since she found it in a sand pit 40 years ago.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I had my eye on that one too Claude,
Let me know what you find inside! Looks like a decent case and the dial will clean up nicely.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
That is the watch. She said she found it 40 years ago and never did anything with it and decided to sell it. If she had taken the back off she probably would have gotten more out of it. I sent a message after winning the auction telling her how to get the back off and that is when she gave me the serial number. 1893 sounds about right for the dial since I have seen some early Waltham Vanguards with dials like this.

I think the case is silveroid vs base metal since base metal might have rusted but silveroid wouldn't. From the looks of the hand remnants I didn't see a lot of corrosion and with the double sunk dial figured it had to be 15j or higher, so I took a shot on it.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I think you did well. From the looks of it, it evidently wasn't exposed to moisture.
I almost bid against you! (unknowingly)

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
There was one person on ebay that must have had the same desires and wants in Elgins that I did and it seemed every time I would bid on a certain Elgin, this guy would to, no matter if I bid early or scheduled a snipe bid via esnipe he would many times be a last minute bidder.

In the end I am sure we cost the other more than a couple of dollars over the period of time that we collided on auctions.

I try not to bid against someone that I know but in reality I don't check or know a lot of the online IDs used by people on 185, so there may have been times when I bid against a 185 member but was not aware of it.

I will post some pictures when it arrives and after I clean the dial and case which is typical of what I do on any watch I buy but in this case will definitely give it a good cleaning. I don't have a lot of early Walthams so this one should be a decent addition with some cleaing, some new hands and a crystal.

posted
Watch arrived today and I will post pictures after I clean up the dial. The gilt colored movement has very fancy DMK effect and the lettering is still nice and black. It appears to be a 15j version but does have gold jewel sets and blued screws and the balance has gold weights so it was a higher quality movement in its day. It tries to run and the balance has just the slightest hint of a wobble.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
So far - so good.
Let's see it.

Dave Turner

posted
Not the best pictures but here goes!

posted

posted

posted
Gold flashed AT&C! Very nice!

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
posted
I will post better pictures, my batteries were being problematic. I was surprised when I took the back off, taking the bezel off was a real fun time but it finally came off. Most gold flashed ATCs that I have seen were open face types but this one is a hunter that is in good condition but I need hands for it.