Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Scarce to Find - 18sz Coin HC w/Original Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Just thought I'd post this to share, as it's really hard to find nice 18 size hunter cases in silver, that have not been abused and beat up.

This case is home to a plain Jane, 7 jewel movement (ca. 1894), that took off running as soon as I wound it up, and is the only movement ever to reside in this case and will retain its 100+ years of patina as long as I own it. (4 scans).

Marty

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Scan 2.

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Scan 3.

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
And scan 4.

posted
Marty,

You are absolutely correct that the hunter coin/sterling silver cases are hard to find in "mint" condition.

I have run across many of the hunter cases that were only made of 2 oz of silver. Therefore, the lids are thin and they have the scars to show their age. To increase your odds of getting a less dinged up case, look for cases with a 4 or higher # on the inside back lid. These cases "usually" have thicker lids (2x the weight of the 2 oz case) and have weathered the 100 years of wear and tear.

Nice case, and there is nothing wrong with a 7j 18s Elgin. Some of the best running movements, are the old basic ones... Wink

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Nice case Marty, when it comes time to sell, you know who to call.... Big Grin .. Wink

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Very nice watch Martin. Its amazing the amount of detail and artistry that some of these cases have.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006