• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 1858 Watch 14455 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I came across this watch in a box of "junk" pocket watches. It was so gaudy, I initially dismissed it as a cheap watch. Note: I am new into collecting pocket watches--I only have one other.

Anyway, in searching the Internet I am unable to find anything like it. The Waltham watches I found seemed to be mainly 1857.

As to the watch itself, there are no markings that I recognize to indicate gold content. I suspect that it is gold plated. The watch does not run, but the case, crystal and hands are in perfect condition. Looks like someone just bought it and put it away as a keepsake. I have a scan on the back, but I am unsure as to how to add a second picture.

I would appreciate any information on this watch or a link to where I can find that information.

Gary H. Mims

Waltham 1858 Front

Posts: 26 | Location: Lubbock, Texas in the USA | Registered: May 02, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
click on reply to post and add another picture,do it a few times and add a picture of the dial,the works , and the marks on the inside of the case - it looks like it might be solid gold Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Sorry it should be 1858 instead of 1856.

And here is a scan of the back

Waltham back

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
by clicking on the little writing symbol on the bottom right you can correct each post

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gary, This looks like a dangerously valuable watch, do you have a camera that you can take "macro" (the little flower in a pot icon) pictures of the movement and dial?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
I emphatically agree with David concerning this watch. Have no idea as to what may be inside, but the case 'reeks' from style and, pardon this 4-letter word, G - O - L - D. Smile

Have you ever seen enamel work on a gold filled case? It's hard to tell as yet whether that portrait a 'stock' item or perhaps painted on a thin piece of ivory. I would be most surprised if I were wrong.

Keep us posted for the rest of the story....please.

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
posted
I have a camera, but haven't taken the picture of the watch opened.

I will do that next. Attached is a closeup of the flower

posted
OK here is a shot of the front of the watch.

posted
Here is a shot of the back open. Note the discoloration. It looks like it may have been partially dropped into water???

There are jeweler's engravings that show the watch has been repaired a couple of times.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Gary can you get a better picture of the movement and the serial number on it? very nice looking case,

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I am waiting with baited breath to see the writing on the inside of the case,back or front Big Grin and the serial number Wink It's starting to look like it might be a 10 size PS bartlett ,14 or 18 karat gold with a gold balance and if it has a serial # between #45,801-46,200 it is a 3 Star rare watch

posted
OK, here is a better shot of the works.......

posted
Do you need a shot of the 14455 sn inscription?

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
darn the luck, not in the early serial range needed to be 3* Roll Eyes does it have a 14 or 18 or an eagle on the case lids? From the serial # on the movement it looks like 1873

posted
Interior case lid below the S/N 14455 has R&A, and then 18. I don't know how I missed seeing the 18 before.....

Again, forgive me, I am not a watch person, but the "balance wheel" is "gold colored". The middle cover, not directly pictured, does have two holes. The 14455 S/N is repeated on that interior cover.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Gary,never dreamed there was another watch nut in Lubbock SmileThought I was the only one.Would love to see this watch in person.If you would be so inclined. Regards Roger Stephens

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Roger,

Well, I really don't qualify as a "watch nut." This particular watch came to me via a friend of my wife's. As someone commented earlier about the appearance of this watch, I thought the same. We have some real junk watches from the same friend--deceased.

I am retired, so I would be happy to show it to you. Suggest some times and a place.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Sounds like it might be 18k gold, the two holes are clearly for winding and setting ,and I wish that i was close enough to have a peek, anyways I think it looks pretty nice

posted
As to my pocket watch "collection". About 5 or 6 years ago, I became fascinated with pocket watches, ala "Hunter" style. I found one for sale on e-Bay, and it was 18K gold. The watch manufacturer was A. Montandon. I won the bid for the watch. It does run but needs cleaning. At the time I retained the listing describing the details of the watch. Somewhere, I lost the listing. I remember the date as being in the late 1700's--1767??? Did they make pocket watches then? I just did an Internet search and turned up nothing. Regardless,it is key wound and I have the original "beryl wood" style case that it came in. It says A. Montandon Locale. This watch was preserved with loving care and someone polished it to thinness. The scroll work on the case is not worn, but one good squeeze would damage the case. When I bought it, I had hoped to carry it. The gold content alone is worth what I paid for the watch.....

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Waltham Hand-Written record shows a May, 1874 production of a few 15J Key Wind, Key Set 10 size Model 1874 fitted with a solid Gold balance wheel s/n's 743701-743765. The actual serial number of your watch is nearly illegible in the picture about, but it looks more like an earlier production Model 1861. I tried to enhance (below) to little avail.

Gary please give us the serial number.

btw you have a very significant collectible here.

Roger, PULEEEZE visit Gary Mims, introduce him to our club and see if you can check out all his other "Junk Watches" Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
OK, there is a S/N?? on the outer back case of 14455, and on the middle case. As to the number on the watch works it is 172531. Also on the works there is in script Part(d)in superscript followed by No n or u followed by 30 in a consistent script size. That is followed by 1858 in a larger and block font. Sorry, I don't have a loupe.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
172531 is a July, 1865 15 Jewel 10 size. The Gold Wheel speaks for itself while the production date certainly confirms this is a model 1861 of considerable importance. The case is another story. The whole item is Miseum+ Quality. I suggest you insure it for AT LEAST $2500.00

posted
The shape of the first number is consistent with the shape of the last number. Each 1 has a horizontal base line. However, the second number 7 does not.

posted
Wow! A real treasure which I thought was gaudy junk among the real junk watches. Thanks for the input on this.

posted
Beautiful watch, that case is spectacular and a great one to own

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
and as well,if as I surmised in my first post the watch is gold ,then the chain has a good chance of being gold as well Wink

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have one of these myself, here is a photo of the movement, all under one plate.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003