Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Plate Identification "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Does anyone know which company made this plate?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Possibly an early Swiss Columbus? The setting mounted pivot jewels held into the dial plate with Jewel Screws is not natural to US-made watches. Some of the lever set design details smell of Aurora, but the jewels are just not done that way.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thanks Dave, I didn't even notice the jewel screws in the plate. I saw the three dial feet holes and thought American. That strange looking set lever also looks familiar, but I can't place where I've seen one before.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Brian-

It is a columbus or early model 1 south bend. What is the serial number?

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Jared, the number on the plate is,502947. Thanks.

posted
Brian-

That serial number would put it as a late 18s model 1 South Bend. Grade 331 with 15 jewels. Center wheel should be non-jeweled. Not sure of the reason it has screw in jewels as david pointed out. Maybe they played around with it before going to their new model 2 platform.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Jared, the center wheel is jeweled.