• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Older RR watches, 15-17 jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm interested in older, lower-jeweled railroad watches, those with 15-17 jewels that were used mostly before 1906. I realize some were allowed in service later. Does anyone here collect these? Do you have any favorites or examples you're still "in search of"?

Matt

Posts: 2 | Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA | Registered: January 28, 2006
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Welcome to Chapter 185 Matt.

There are a lot of really nice railroad watches made before 1906 and I am really very fond of them myself. Waltham, Howard, Elgin, Illinois, Hampden, Rockford, Hamilton, Aurora, Peoria, Columbus (and a few others) made very collectable watches consided railroad grade at the time they were made.

You have found a very intriguing, rewarding and sometimes costly hobby. Big Grin
Welcome to the club!

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
SHHHHhhhhh, Matthew! Eek A LOT of folks have overlooked this aspect of watch collecting, keeping the prices within our reach. Don't stir interest up! They'll start cutting into our territory!
(grins) Wink

Glad to see another who appreciates these fine old pre 21j railroad watches!!

High regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Many, I among them, consider the Illinois Grade 105 to be the supreme example of these watches.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Would one consider a Waltham Model 1857; Appleton & Tracy (15j) dating to Dec 1874 (s/n786105) a potential railroad watch for that time period?

Posts: 24 | Location: Minden, Nevada U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2006
posted
The face of the Appleton & Tracy Waltham 1857

IHC Member 665
posted
I agree with Mark Cross - we must be careful not to spread too much knowledge about these 1890 to 1910 railroad grade watches or we will never be able to collect them.

After all, during this period the American watch making industry was at its height and quality was at its best. Check the excellent trend graphs in Michael Harrold's "American Watchmaking" for quantification of these statements.

The jewel war that followed this period took people's attention away fromm the true meaures of quality - manufacturer reputation and timepiece proven performance. After all the timekeeping heart of a watch has only seven jewels and even a seven jewel watch can match that! It is the accuracy of design and manufacture, not the quantity of jewels, that determines timekeeping performance - the purpose of a watch.

Those early high grade 18s, 15J and 16s, 17J watches had all that was needed. Web C Ball, no less, protested about what he termed 'smokestack jewels" - those in excess of the 17 or 19 jewels necessary to ensure correct time. Some of my most accurate and dependable American railroad watches are a century old having no more than 15J or 17J and, heaven forbid, brass escape wheels and, in some cases plain (non-Bregeut) hairsprings. They embody enduring quality, more than anything else. I am positive that my 16s 17J Bunn keeps time as well as any of those 23j 60 hour modern marvels we hear so much about!

Yes - let's be careful as to what we say about these magnificent watches!

Posts: 215 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 665
posted
This is the Bunn, by the way.

Posts: 215 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
posted
An earlier Waltham that I believe would have been accepted for RR standard time.. it is marked adjusted........ No. 501252 Model 1870 I think this is from the first run of 1870's...

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
And it is stem wind and pin set...Much case wear but keeps great time..Check out the timing screw positions.. Eek

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I believe the 1870 Model was the first watch sold retail to the railroad workers. There should be an article coming out in the Bulletin some time this year. If I can get it to display properly, this is believed to be the first print ad for a Railroad Watch.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The distinction may be too subtle to be useful, but the 1870 was to be bought by the workers on the railroad. All the previous ones were bought by the lines for use with the equipment.

That includes the Penna ones.

The Pennsylvania RR apparently bought these watches from others besides Waltham.

The first watches were actually by Barraud & Lunds and sold by Bond to the Vermont RR.

posted
My model 57 is not marked Adjusted. I wanted one KW/KS watch in my collection and when I found this one 3 yrs ago on eBay I went for it. It is the oldest watch I own and occupies a proud corner in the ol' display case. Thick beveled glass crystal, coin silver case, and although I am relatively new at this, I thought a very lovely and well kept movement, and A&T too boot.

This has been a very interesting thread.

Thanks to all.