Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Really Nice 16s Waltham Canadian Pacific Railway "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I recently bought this CPR off of my Dad for my collection. This one is as close to NOS as I have seen. I thought I'd share pictures...

John III

Mint Dial and Hands

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
CPR on movement almost made me require CPR when I first saw it. Smile

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The case still has factory brush lines. Oh how I love factory brush lines!!!! Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
No service marks that I can find.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Bow has no wear either.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
This will be my last watch purchase for a while, so I thought I'd make it a good one. Shugart's has this as a 3 Star watch which combined with the condition equals a winner in my book.

John III

PS: Sorry for my ugly fingernails - it has finally warmed up here in Western Michigan, so I have been doing some yardwork...

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
John great looking watch looks to be in top condition ,those brush marks are nice.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
That is certainly a great one to be your last one for a while. Smile

The brush marks are really something...I wonder what percentage of watches- or cases rather- from its vintage still have those?!

Although not as grand as your CPR, whenever I see a nice RR Waltham I think of an early 40s Vanguard I used to own. Boy, that was a great watch.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
First of all, I wish he were MY Dad! Big Grin

As for factory brush-marks.... be CAREFUL! They are easy to apply and you have to look carefully to tell the real ones from the fake.

When buying a watch.... after you have admired the brush-marks, look the rest of the case over very carefully. If the case is not 100% consistent with NOS, the brush marks might have been "applied." The marks disappear at the first buffing or with any significant wear. You can also look to see if the brush-marks go to the very edge of the back design. But... there are artisans who can get them awfully close. Mad Eek

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The CPR Waltham is a very nice and desireable movement. However, your movement with a 19-million serial number is from around 1914 while the case style I believe is more likely from the 1930s or later. I think it fairly certain that this was a new-old-stock case used to replace an older worn-out case. These cases were still available from the material houses when I started collecting in the '60s.

(Also, I might have expected a 24-hour dial on this movement).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
John,
I agree with Jerry but, before nitpicking, I will tell you that the CPR Beaver watch is one
watch I have been patiently waiting to find ever since I first saw a pic of one in an old Ehrhart
Price Indicator. That little frosted beaver has to be the coolest bit of eye-candy ever to grace
a watch IMHO. IF I ever find one it will be my
one and only "keeper" pocket watch.

That said, my first reaction was that this is a
beautiful case and dial matched with a dream movement. The hands are (again, IMHO) not a proper set. You've got the best and hardest part to find though. The hands are easy to find.

Such a nice watch!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't sure if the CPR needed to have a 24 hr dial or a Canadian-marked case, but the price was right either way.

I will keep my eye out for an appropriate dial and hands, but I'm keeping the case! Wink

John III

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Cort,

Can you help me identify the proper hands for this CPR watch? I am bidding on a 24 dial.

Thanks,

John III

Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hi John:
How lucky are you? My father never had a pocket watch until I gave hin an 18s Hamilton grade 925 for Father's Day. I gave the watch to my brother after dad passed away. I inherited both of my grandfathers' watches. My maternal grandfather had a Hamilton 917. My paternal grandfather had a Bulova 17AH. Again, How lucky are you? Congratulations on a very beautiful watch!
Cheers!
Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the CPR watch with the 24 hr dial I picked up on ebaY.

Interestingly, next week I have a job interview in Vancouver which was the final stop of the CPRs first transcontinental trip in 1887.

John III

posted
John, Now as long as you are looking for the perfect example, you want to look for a pair of thinner hands. Your hands balance with the larger numeral dial. The smaller numbers had thinner hands to compliment them.

Tom

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Good Luck with your interview John. Wink

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Gary: Thanks - I need all the luck I can get.

Tom: Thanks for the tip. I had some NOS smaller Waltham hands, and I think they match much better. What do you think?

John III