Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Vander Woerds winder -Help! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
This is a us watch co movement # 8140, Ca 1888.
I have not been able to find a pic of another to compare it with.
Does this look complete? Something does not seem right. The small silver wheel below the canon pinion has no function that I can see.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, That looks like the clutch wheel that is engaged by a small wheel under the left winding wheel and another under the hour wheel that is part of the cannon pinion. Your picture shows this W&S mechanism in the "wind" setting. So when the stem is pulled out the left part rocks "up" about 2-3 mm engaging the wheels via that "clutch" wheel to "set" the time.

I only have lever setting USWCo mvt's this low in s/n, but they should be similar to that. I will check later when my flu has gone away so I can come near a watch.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David, I hope the flue has left you by now. There is nothing worse than not being abel to conduct your normal routine.
Thanks for the pointer. With it in winding mode the wheel moves around as though it is an "extra" part. But in the seting mode it becomes apparent what it's purpose is.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Glad to help, I would bet money this had a pinned dial too! Congratulations Ed a very nice rare piece if its all there!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
It has the dial, hands and movement. Finding a case would be another thing!
I picked it up because I wanted to see how Vander Woerds winder operated.
I searched the net but couldn't find any details, nothing specific about it's workings.