Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information on Model 5 case. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I found a 992E in a Model 5 case today and realized I had never seen this model case in real life. Are they rare? I know some of the factory cases were used in very small numbers over a limited period of time. Would such a combination command a premium over say a model 2, or 10?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The Case 5 started in 1928 & was gone by the mid-to-late 30's. It's one of the less common Hamilton factory cases, but I wouldn't call it rare.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
So just treat it as an appropriately cased 992E as far as determining a fair price?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Mike, I guess it is according to where, and to whom you are going to sell it.

That case was not made as long and so not nearly as many made. To me it is all the way it is presented to the buying public. You don't mention it and you will not get any more, or maybe even less for it. Play it up to what it really is and you will get what it should be drawing being a case that was not made for that long. It's up to you the seller as to how much you can get for your product.

To me, if that case has a 992E in it, I will get more for it every time. There are other cases that might draw more, like the #8 case that was made for the Elinvar. Also there are many who would prefer the #2 case but just bring attention to what that case is and it will do just fine.

Just another thought on it.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Larry. I always believe there is a fine line between overhyping, and pointing out strengths. I've never been naturally good at finding the difference. I am a potential buyer of this watch (locally) and would probably look to resell it, or one of my 992Es if I buy it. I currently own them in #10 case and a WGF #2 case. Both are desirable IMHO.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Those are two of my favorites Mike. One day I like the #10 case, then the next I finish up a #2 case and that one is my favorite!!

I guess one could say that I can be guilty of overhyping a little at times, but I think I would rather overhype that not give enough information for the customer to concider. I think that, we sometimes forget just how much some buyers DON'T know, and the more info we give them, the better it is for us, and them.

That is one way I get a lot of people to look at, and I hope join, at "185". I really like a well informemed buyer.

By the way, I'll take any one of those E's off your hands!!!

Regards,
Larry

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
If I decide to sell one it will be here. Stay tuned.