Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

what is the best way to learn watch repair? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
hi gang
ive decided out of neccesity to try to learn watch repair and was wondering if it is possible to do repairs useing how to books or is this something best left to trained professionals?

Eek

Posts: 9 | Location: Indiana in the United States | Registered: February 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Charlie

I did it with books & asking questions on sites like this one. I bought some really cheap movements to start with & just keep learning as I go. I have been doing it for about 2 years now but I still run across problems that take a while to figure out but I think that is what makes it so enjoyable.

Two books that were recommended by I think Chris Abell were "The Watch Repairer's Manual" by Henry B. Fried & also by the same author "Bench Practices For Watch & Clockmakers".

Good luck & I am sure you will find a lot of help here on IHC185.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Henry B. Fried's "Watch Repairer's Manual" should be available through the regular bookstores, at least by order. The "Bench Practices" may be a little harder to find, buy I got mine on eBay. Also the Bulova Watch School manual is in print too Also, Chris Abell posted the steps he takes to clean and assemble watches which applies to wristwatches, but also can be used in general for pocket watches. I think those are in the watch repair section.
Sometimes a 4-day "field suitcase" course #F301 is offered in which you learn to disassemble, clean, reassemble, do light repairs and timing of Pocket Watches. I think the "Group Therapy" of that class took me over the top as far as learning how to carefully and patiently work on these things and figure their little quirks out along the way.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member
posted
Hey Charlie!
If you're as clueless as I was and need to start from rock bottom,here are my two building blocks-the paperback "WATCH REPAIRING as a hobby" by D.W.Fletcher (you can get it used for $5...) and the site www.thewatchguy.com-between these I was able to take an old 16S Elgin apart,oil it, and get it back together. Very basic step by step instructions,and the watch guy offers a beginners tool kit that is OK for...beginners.
But you have an enormous advantage,my friend-because you have found this site! The men and women at Internet Horology club 185 live to help guide,encourage, and answer "new guy" questions. There's no other place that compares with the friendly treatment you'll receive around here; hang around and see for yourself!
Please continue to ask questions and tell us how and what your doing. -

Marty

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hello Charlie, very sound advice. I also started with a book I found in my local library and a 7 jewel Elgin from the flea market. Books by Henry B.Fried are always near my bench. My local library provides a book locater service, if you can provide the authors name, or the book title, or the ISBN. ISBN is a number assigned to books for ID purposes. That way you can borrow a book to see if it fits your need without having to buy it first. I would be remiss if I didn't add that the advice and help you will receive here are great and given very generously.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
What watch would you recommend we start with?

Posts: 101 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 22, 2008
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I would advise you to try your hand on a 3/4 plate watch, as full plate movements can be a challenge to reassemble. My first project was 12 size, 7 jewel Elgin.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I would recommend a 16s or 18s & 3/4 plate. I made the mistake of starting on a full plate & I would have to say the full plate are the hardest. They are hard because every wheel pivots on the one plate so when you try to put it back together you have to try to line up 5 different pivots on one plate to the opposite end on the other plate. Very easy to break something.

The reason I say a 16s or 18s is the size, again if you take something smaller apart it still has all the same parts just packed into a smaller area.

Anyway that is my idea.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sorry to say the same thing Gary, I guess we were typing at the same time.

Tom

posted
hi gang and thanks for all the input
thanks again
charlie

Posts: 9 | Location: Indiana in the United States | Registered: February 29, 2008
posted
I started off with the video learning tapes from Bob Tascione. Then I asked a couple people in my area to mentor me. It has worked out well. And this site is invaluable. Good luck.

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005