• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham for Howard movement. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 16S 23J bridge movement that Waltham made for the Keystone Howard Co. Does anyone know what kind of case it would have been in? Does anyone have one?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Jerry can you post a picture[s] of the watch along with the serial number ?? That would help to clarify exactly what it is.

There are some "mystery" watches out there that usually have an "H" in the serial number. After Keystone "Howard" bought the name from Howard Watch Co., Keystone Howard had Waltham make their watches for them until they were tooled up and could make their own. Those Waltham watches for Keystone Howard came in 14K and gold filled and in O/F and H/C, and in a Howard wooden hinged box.
They used the Keystone Howard case with the Howard Logo ring on the cuvette.

It would be enjoyable seeing the watch as they were quite handsome. Then we could perhaps post more helpful info.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Buster: Here are pictures.

Dial

posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I have two of these Waltham-Howards. One is ##1,005,282, which 22 numbers higher than your watch, Jerry. It is in its original 14k open faced case, signed Howard, #100,284. The case has Jurgenson lips. Its back cover has the ususal engine turning, with a medallion in the center for initialing. Its dial and hands are identical to your watch's dial and hands, except that my watch does not have the red minutes register and my watch has a different seconds hand (I am not sure that your watch's second hand is correct.)

My other one is one of the very earliest Waltham-Howards, #H803,546 It is in a 14k Keystone hunter case, #4,702,678. The dial is signed "E. Howard & Co., Boston."

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Ethan: I have seen images of two more of these Howards, and the second hands and dials are identical to mine.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Very nice Jerry, lovely piece !!

Tell about your case ?? I will venture to guess that it is a Crescent Watch Case Co. case ??

Your dial is a beauty and looks to be period factory correct.

I never worried too much about seconds hands unless it was a "known" type associated with the likes of say Hamilton 992B's or Elgin BWR movements only etc. that were readily recognized. Seconds hands seemed to get lost/broken often and were usually the first of a "set" of hands to go. Most watchmakers kept a supply kit[s] from the various watch companies to repair many different watches and brands. Often the seconds hands and other hands were replaced by what the watchmaker could make do with if he didn't have say a "Waltham/Howard" seconds hand etc. Back then the owner wouldn't have noticed the difference and today its not all too important as in making or breaking a deal.

Ethan makes some valuable points and I see he has one of the "mystery" earlier Waltham/Howards with the "H" in the serial number !!

I am under the impression the later Waltham Howards such as yours, would probably be better accepted in the Howard signed cases.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
bb: The case is a Crescent with the star and crescent moon trademark. The dust cover bears a different number and is marked Crescent extra and is from a Howard case. It may have been changed because of an inscription? The case also shows a pair of additional screw marks. I'm guessing this watch could have been in Howard 14K case. I am going to put it in a salesman's case just so I can look at the movement.

Thanks for your interest.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Howard Open Face cases do come available occasionally and prices seem to be on par with other unit specific cases. It is the Howard 16S Hunter Case I have yet to see come available.

In the short run, a display case is always fun.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Jerry,

What a beautiful watch. The seconds hand, whether original or not, is the correct length and weight and is in perfect visual balance with everything else.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008