• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s 23-24j Thread for Best Bang for $ "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Claude posted some really nice 18s 21j Elgins, and I put together the best bang for your 18s 21j thread awhile back. So, I thought we could mix it up a bit.

PW must be a 23j or more, American Made (no swiss knock offs), 18s, and you must have less than 600$ invested to post a pic (sorry for the "rules", but last time we had some strays). Good chance to show off your purchase(s) from 20 years ago that you pd less and the watch has gained in value

I know the 18s don't have the following the 16s have, but this your chance to show those big old beefy heavy hitters. Jared and Gene - let me see those beauts!

Should be some nice Hampdens and Walthams hiding in the weeds. Very curious to see if there is 946 that meets the price cutoff!

V/r

Jon

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
My 24 jewel for $110.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the perfect dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
How about a 23 jewel 946. I got a cow and a calf in it.

posted
Well all I can do is bring "Chop Sticks" to this "gun fight" since the only 23j 18 sizes I have are two common 23j version, the Elgin 214 and two Hampden New Railways.

A $51 Hampden

A $250 Hampden

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009

posted
Nice pics Gents...

Claude -

I dont think there is such a thing as a common 23j Pocket Watch. Give that old Hampden a pat on the back - I still think highly of her. And at your buying price - WoW!

Gene -

I know where you live and the 946, too. Love that watch!

posted
The first Hampden was a bit of a fluke, the seller said they could not get the back off but with a DS dial I knew it had to be 17j or better so I gambled and in this case won. I need better pictures of my 214 since the ones I have are fuzzy.

IHC Life Member
posted
I think they are both Beautiful. I would be a proud daddy if they where mine.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
A $461.10 Elgin 214.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Back

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Guts

IHC Life Member
posted
WOW that dial on the Elgin. It is eye candy.

posted
Here's my only 23j 18s, a Hampden Special Railway 2 tone. Movement and dial are in good shape. The case is a Dueber "Special" which has has some brass but I think it may be the original. Paid $262. Mine has one gold case screw and one non-gold like Claude's "expensive" New Railway. I wonder where all those missing gold screws ended up.

Hampden Special Railway

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Gene, the Elgin is pretty, but it is not completely original I am not sure how original it is. The case has one or two extra sets of screw marks. When Chris Abell serviced the watch, he found a $150 price tag on the back of the dial, which led him to believe the dial was not original to the movement.

IHC Life Member
posted
All the gold case screws are at my house.

What do you think 1000 in this pile. Send me your address I send you one.

posted
Thanks Gene, that is one of life's mysteries solved. I will email you my address.

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
Ditto, I have a 65-S Illinois tu-tone hunter that is beautiful but is missing one gilt screw on the barrel bridge.

posted
Well at least we found out who has all the "gold" colored screws.

Any 23j 18s Walthams?

Robert and Ethan nice watches!

posted
Hey there Jon. If you had said $600.00 or less I would have been in by one cent. A Canadian cent at that.

Wait a second ........, if I paid $600.00 Canadian dollars for the watch, that would make it a bit less than the $600.00 US you mentioned, right Jon? Right? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010

posted
Bud -

Post some pics of that bad boy... Wink

V/r

Jon