WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

When - first run of Waltham Vanguard, Model '99, 23J "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone tell me what serial numbers constitute Waltham's first run of their Vanguard, Model 1899, 16s, 23j watch? Thankyou very much.
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In going through my records, the first listed run of model 1899 23J Vanguards were 500 as s/n9503001-3500 in early 1900. The year of 1899 was marked by mingled production of higher grade model 88's and early lower jeweled model 99's. Also a mixed bag of model 99 bridge types that some think were run out from the E Howard bridge model tooling

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave!
I'm glad I asked, and I'm glad you took the time to reply! Thanks a bunch. I had taken pictures, and was getting ready to put this Vanguard on the IHC auction block when I thought to check. Below is a movement from this first run of 23j, model 1899, Vanguards. I guess I'll keep it for a while longer.

May I ask.... did you calculate this information from the "Waltham Pocket Watch Identification and Price Guide"?
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Yes, I went back to the beginning of 1899 model listings and then tracked forward by 23 Jewel movment posts to this serial series as being the first that met the criteria.

Yours in an extraordinary example of that first 500 piece run. Beautiful condition.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Dave. I thought that is what you might have done to arrive at your conclusion.
Mike