Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What to do with my CPR? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hallo everybody!
I´m really, really new in the chapter 185 (first 2004) and I send snowy regards from Sweden!
I recently purchased this Waltham 16s Canadian Pacific Railway. I now wonder what to do. I´m not sattisfied with it´s dial. What shall a dial look like to be as original as possible to this watch. Are there anyone who mayby have such a dial to sell. Are there anyone who have more to tell about this watch, how many made?, value and so on.
Thank´s in advance and I wish all a safe and happy new year!
P.S Thanks Cheryl for invited me. D.S

Waltham CPR

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Bernard,

To be correct, your CPR should have a true double sunk, 24 hour dial. Fortunately these are not impossible to locate as they came on many of the 16 size railroad grade watches sold in Canada. One option would be to watch eBay.

In regards to the number made, your 16 size, 17J example is much harder to find than the more common 18 size, 17J variety. Roy Ehrhardt in the "American Pocket Watch, Encyclopedia and Price Guide" estimates total production of the Model '08 CPR at 1750.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Bernhard all the way from Sweden!

Welcome to IHC 185 and our family/friendly atmosphere. Make yourself at home, sit back and enjoy our chapter. There are many members who will offer information at your asking!

Congrats on being our first member in 2004!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
....mr Lucke for your advice. I just wonder, is it a difference between american 24-hour dial and canadian ones?
Thank you Stephanie for your freindly welcome. I have just start to check what the chapter has to offer. I think it´s gonna take a while to understand the whole site. There´s a lot to go thru.
Best Regards!
/Bernhard

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Most of the 24 hour dials on railroad watches were made for the Canadian market. The ones that were sold in the U.S. would have been of the same design. To further clarify what to look for, I have scanned a couple examples. One is on a CRTS (Canadian Railway Time Service) marked Waltham and the other is on a CPR which is similar to yours. As you will notice, my CRTS could also use a better dial.

Rhett Lucke

Canadian 24hr Dials

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Rhett and WELCOME to you Bernhard!

From those images it is narrowed a bit for you. Many of our members including Rhett Lucke have bought and sold in our Chapter 185 Buy and Sell Mart to great success. I suggest you put up a Wanted to Buy ad for the dial and one of our members may well have one for you. Someone may even step forward right in this topic!

Larry Buchan knows a lot about these and may have assistance on more than one level.

Again, welcome to Chapter 185, you'll find a lot of friendly and helpful people here!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Rhett for the great pictures. Now I understand. I will try the wanted site for this. How do I get in contact with mr Larry Buchan. I´m very interested of all information consirning Canadian RR in general but this watch i particular.
Bernhard "the swede"
P.S Lindell sounds very Swedish Smile D.S

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Bernhard,

You have an important movement that could use as Rhett showed you the correct type dial. Additionally the hour and minute hand would be on my list as well. Since you are also interested in upgrading the case you may end up putting together a really nice example.

I added part of Rhett's image (Thanks Rhett!) and provided a link over to this discussion from your "Wanted" advertisement.

Hope this helps.

Lindell*

Wink

*Swedish huh? I was named after a character in a book my mom once read. Evidently he was a Swedish character!

Big Grin Eek Confused

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
....it would be nice with proper hands as well. I think these should be thicker and steel blue shouldn't they? I have tried a little about what you suggest, to buy a watch with a less interesting movement but it seems to be quite hard. I will go on try anyway. When I get my CPR together I will lay a picture to show.

Thanks for everything!

"Bernhard the Swede"

posted
....yes I really enjoy it.

Bernhard "the swede"