Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Whats this? SS Barlom? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Found in in a box of junk movements. It even tries to run but is so filthy it can't. I don't see it listed in the fat book. Can you give me a What, Who, When & Why?
Thanks
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Dial side

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Patrick,

That is a definitive "Swiss Fake" << Click those words for other references and see the additional information on pages 97 and 98 in the Complete Guide to Watches 2012 Edition.

Watches like that one were made to confuse the buyer by using familiar sounding names and highly misleading terminology that sounded like something they could never really be. Close examination will reveal the example you found does not even have a compensating balance.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Patrick; clearly SS Barlow on the dial and looks like the engraver may have reversed the letter in the engraving machine so on the movement it looks like an "M" !!! Private label so perhaps Tom brown will find something on him. I believe the watch to be a Swiss fake, regards,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I'll go along with you guys. Maybe i"ll get it to run just for S & G's.
Thanks for the info.
Patrick 1616

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Patrick:

I think the SS Barlow, sounds close to PS Bartlett a higher grade Waltham, you see a lot of that in Swiss fakes using names that sound a lot like the American pocket watches.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Patrick if you notice the regulator it looks a bit like a Chalmers and Larry is correct that the Swiss fakes are many times found with "sounds like" names. Hamlin for Hampden, HWC for Hampden Watch Company, Barlow for Bartlett and many more. They are collectable and in Nebraska and Iowa they were often called Gypsy or peddlers watches. My grandfather told me they could be had for 50 cents if you drove a hard bargain and that would have been around 1900-05.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009